Merkava Mk 4 -VS- Leopard 2A6

Well sorry to say but there is no competition, as Discovery Channel agreed ;)
well, dont fall into the enthousiasm they have when they make a documentary...

They cant come and say "here is some german tank, it's terrible, but we are going to make a documentary about it and sell it to you guys anyway..."

they have to say that it's the most bla bla and the best bla bla...

They have to.

And do you think that the countries who could buy the Leopard will just see a discovery channel documentary to decide how to equip their armies?

Of course not.

As Sherman said, the Merkava isnt for sure the best tank in the world... Neither is the Abrams, or anything...

These are weapons platforms. They are adapted to well defined needs.

The best tank in the world have to be perfect.

It have to be neither too big or too small, it must have the best armor around, the best ammo capability around, the best engine around, easy to repair, fast and powerful, not consuming much power, not too noisy etc etc...

And you will see that some of these aspects dont work together. You cant have a small tank and a tank that looks huge to scare the enemy...

You cant have a light and well armored tank...

It have to be balanced following the mission and the needs.

well, dont fall into the enthousiasm they have when they make a documentary...

They cant come and say "here is some german tank, it's terrible, but we are going to make a documentary about it and sell it to you guys anyway..."

they have to say that it's the most bla bla and the best bla bla...

They have to.

And do you think that the countries who could buy the Leopard will just see a discovery channel documentary to decide how to equip their armies?

Of course not.

As Sherman said, the Merkava isnt for sure the best tank in the world... Neither is the Abrams, or anything...

These are weapons platforms. They are adapted to well defined needs.

The best tank in the world have to be perfect.

It have to be neither too big or too small, it must have the best armor around, the best ammo capability around, the best engine around, easy to repair, fast and powerful, not consuming much power, not too noisy etc etc...

And you will see that some of these aspects dont work together. You cant have a small tank and a tank that looks huge to scare the enemy...

You cant have a light and well armored tank...

It have to be balanced following the mission and the needs.
Actually with advances in material science, such as carbon fibers and carbon nanotubes, you can have a light and well armored tank.

If someone hasn't suggested this lets all just sign a petition and e-mail it to deadliest warrior. They are good at these kind of debates. Plus they probably have the budget to actually try it out. That's probably the only way to ever half way know. The only way to truly know is well......hopefully that doesn't happen.

Lets do it the other way around? Jews catching Germans 0.o? Seriously, due to disarmament and stuff one day i would guess that it would be possible for Israel to conquer Germany... well if it goes on like it does right now.

Last edited:
Eh, if you ask some Evangelists, they will tell you that there is a prophecy they are trying to fullfil where Israel receives the Messiah so he can rule the world...

And if you say that these religious prophecies have no geopolitic-geostrategic meaning... Then you are wrong. Israel is still an important country for a lot of powerful people/nation in the world for its religious/symbolic value.

And If Israel have to rule the world, then invading other countries might be a possible outcome...

Hang tight Germany... The revolution is coming. You will be free from your godless government soon enough, they will free you all, even if it have to kill you...

Ah, look at the sig of usinfantryMOS11c1... Nice flag buddy ^^

I'm joking, but with the nutjobs ruling the world tomorrow and all these silly prophecies about Israel/messiah... It's not impossible.

"Nothing is impossible" -Toyota

If it gets really close im gonna relive Wittmann clone him and give all his clones a Leopard 2 tank.... guess i should start collecting money -,-'

Israel in war

Israel has some very nice military toys. But this does not change the fact that my nation is a tiny nation and population. Israel can not afford to fight long drawn out wars. The IDF stands upon the foundation of calling up our reserves. If all the boys are on the front or support work ... who's working in the factories and businesses? All Israeli wars are short b/c our tiny nation lacks both the national size and populations to fight european style total wars. Furthermore, and this is critical, the great powers and their "balance of power" in the region politics coupled with their UN puppet mouthpiece virtually guarantees short indecisive conflicts. The great powers would not permit Israel to conquer an Arab capital. Why? B/c it would radically change the balance of power in the Middle East. War entails more than just fancy high priced weapons. The Middle East, has a long history of being a battle field fought over by the great powers.

well i guess that both of them have been tested the mercava failed to achive the goal in lebanon and in gaza while on the other hand the lapord was fantastic

Hey guys I'm from Canada and I have done a lot of research on both tanks and watched documentaries on both, while the leopard can hit a top speed of 72k/h (making it the fastest MBT) the merkava has some crazy armour sloping, both tanks have the same gun and depending on the crew roughly the same reload time. On a international ranking of all the modern MBT's the leopard 2a6m ranked top for speed, and it is one of the top 3 MBT's. but on a survivability rank the merkava was in the top 2 or 3. The merkava is also built for urban combat not so much wide open spaces like the leopard 2.

Last edited:
M1-Abrams

Well, I took my infos on the Internet... (Wikipedia to be accurate)

I tried to give an answer with the little knowledge I have. And I'm definetely not an expert.

Added to my infos. thanks. I just thought it was up to the tank commander to take care of such things... he is the one giving orders after all...

damn, I thought I've found a critical information...

I dont know about that. I'm the kind to say that everything is possible. but the chances are slim indeed.

I just wanted an experiment to compare the two killing machines...
but I've found another one. you take a tank crew, you give them a mission... like fighting other tanks, and give them the choice between a Merkava and a Leopard.
then you give them another mission like fighting infantry and give them the same choice... and so on.

tanks are tools. a hammer is good to put a nail into wood. you wouldnt take a chainsaw for the same job...

they have low tech armies there... and Egypt is a friendly country now, they have modern weapons... but I know for sure that if they have modern weapons today, it's because they wont use them against Israel or any US ally country.
and Syria must have some old T-72 tanks or something of this kind... not very high-tech...

the mortar? yep, I think I know. indirect fire? for pounding on infantry or buildings/fortifications...
I know that the tanks top-armor is a soft-spot (if we dare to call it soft)... but I dont think that a mortar round have a huge penetration power.

I'm aware that once you disable a tank (e.g. mobility kill) it will be vulnerable to artillery fire...
but is the mortar really effective against a tank? tell me, I'm very curious...

A guess... I know that Israeli Tanks were destroyed in the war in Lebanon. and the Hezbollah had no tanks... they used shoulder fired guided missiles.
and I dont think that the Merkava could resist a blow from an Abrams... or a Leopard.

I heard about a Sabot shot from an Abrams going through many Iraqi tanks in desert storm. if you heard such thing, please share.

I'm just a civilian, sir. it's not my field. I'm sure you love your tank like I love my car (maybe more).
but the Leopard is smaller... lighter... makes it a smaller target. so I think that against other tanks, the Leopard would have better results.

I know that the Abrams got turbines... giving him a lot of power in a short amount of time. wonderful accelerations...
and it's firepower is the same as the Merkava, not? cant we say that the Abrams got more speed and firepower than the Merkava?

of course... the fuel consumption must be HUGE...

It wasn't part of the question however it was brought up. Without comparing all the spec's the Abrams like the Merkava is a battle proven design which says a lot. The M1-Aprams and newer varieties such as the MIA2-Abrams are likely the last tank anyone would want to contend with on the battlefield. BTW have the German Leopards seen much - any combat i.e. tank on tank?

Last edited:
I think Merkava win but not against 2A7, 2A5 and 2A4. 2A6 är four or five best from Germany.

Merkava wins against fives german. Big tank this israelian.

I think Merkava win but not against 2A7, 2A5 and 2A4. 2A6 är four or five best from Germany.

Merkava wins against fives german. Big tank this israelian.

This posting is difficult to understand? The German Leopard 2A6 is a superb heavy tank. Likely the equal of the Abrams M1A2. I give the edge to the Abrams only because it has been proven in combat. I don't think the highly specialized Merkava is as good of an all around tank either of these AV's but it's serves the purpose well and is battle tried and true.

Last edited:
If that's not their best all around heavy Tank, which one is?

It's Leopard 2A5 in Sweden we have 120 tanks of this. How goes down to 46 after modernize earliest 2019 back in buisness.

It's 110 Leopard 2A4 is the reserve plane.

Down with 50 tanks from earlier 160 2A4.

Last edited:
Back