Meps

Wheezcellbert

Well, I turned 18 on the Superbowl, sad day that was when the Bears lost, and Im signing my papers for the USMC. Im currently signed up as a combat engineer but Im retaking the DLAB. Hard test that DLAB so hopefully I can pass it and become an Interregator/Linguist for the Marine Corps. I cant wait to do something outside of the small town I grew up in. OORAH!

According to individuals who have taken (and passed) the DLAB, one can improve their scores by:
  • Having a very clear understanding of English grammar. You will need to know all parts of speech and how they work. You may wish to get your hands on a good college level grammar text book and study that for awhile before taking the test. Understand how English sentences are constructed (i.e. Subject-Verb-Object). Fooling around with this construction will help you on the DLAB.
  • Be able to recognize accentuation and stress patterns in words. Know where syllable breaks are in words.
  • Have some experience with a foreign language. If you want to be a Russian linguist, it is not necessary that you have experience with Russian. However, if you have some experience with a foreign language, it will help you to understand that different languages use sentence structures differently than English.
  • Be prepared to interpret instructions based on pictures. For example, a picture of a red car is presented with the word "ZEEZOOM". Next, a picture of a blue car is presented with the word "KEEZOOM". Next, a picture of a red bus is presented with the word "ZEEBOOM". You must be able to give the foreign word for a "blue bus".
  • You should also know that on the audio portion of the exam there is no repetition of the questions. Once an item is given there is a brief pause for you to answer and then the next question. Be prepared for this; if you think you can think your way into an answer on any given question you will miss the beginning of the next. This effect can snowball and probably leads to some people with good chances going south due to nerves. Listen carefully and go with your gut. Be ready for the next question
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab.htm

How is your English grammar? If you want some help I am willing to help you with understanding it better which will help you hit a higher mark on this test.

No doubt on that. I took a SLAC (Survival Level Arabic Course) and I got a 90% on the overall score. I got my DLAB rating but I don't remember what it was. Basically they gave us a 1 year course over a 30 day period. Arabic is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn.

Well I found out Im color blind but still physically fit enough to join the Corps. So I've signed a four-year open contract at the moment. Scored 88 on my asvab that I took a year ago and my recruiter is trying to get me some intelligence job. I still want to take the DLAB and I'll have one last chance to do so before I ship out on Aug. 6th for San Diego.

They have me signed up for Intel. I scored 88 on my asvab and all my line scores were high so Im most likely going to get a job in intel and then get stationed with the fleet.

Back