MEPS Question

PooleeW

Alright this has been bugging me. I enlisted about a month ago, immaculate police record and nothing seemed to be wrong with me. My only problem is that I was diagnosed with a mild essential tremor a while back which makes my hands shake a little. I can thread a needle and hunt perfectly well, save for using a scope. I did not see ET listed under the DQ list so I decided to not bring it up, as my recruiter and his boss told me not to worry about it. It's been my dream for a long while to be a US Marine, and I didn't want to be DQ'ed for something like this. Really, its just a small nuisance in my daily life, and sometimes I dont even notice it. The doctors didn't pick up on it at MEPS, and I did have 3 of them screening me at one time because I was the last one to do the duckwalk stuff. Again, they don't really affect me much in my daily life and I can still shoot and thread a needle. I have even heard of some servicemen who have served an entire career knowing that they have ET.
I just want to know if I should worry or not about this.

That is not really a question we can answer for you. Only you know how bad it is and what your limits are. You might not want to put yourself in a combat situation. Your aim is the difference between life and death.

Its not really that bad, and I hunt pretty well. The only thing I'd have a problem with is a scope. I'm fine with iron sights.

Im doing the reserves , only job they wanted was rifleman. Its not that i cant use a scope, its that I dont like to because it takes longer to steady. I guess I'm fine then with not telling MEPS, or maybe Ill get a job change.

If you feel it doesn't effect your shooting go for it, but I don't think there's any non-combat jobs in the military today. I've seen Yeoman's and SK's at my command mobilized to go to Afghanistan and every Marine has to go through basic combat training and pass a CRT regularly. If you don't think it seriously effects your ability to perform your job, then I wouldn't say anything or worry about it, but if it hampers your ability to shoot or perform any other function that is part of your job, you may need to reconsider. This isn't like being a cashier at Wal-Mart or a bag boy at the local supermarket, there are lives on the line, including your own.

Stand Down. Get checked out. Decrease caffine, meaning coffeee, tea and soda. Nicotine if you smoke or dip, and then see a dictor if it's that bad and then if you have to see the MEPS doctor.

Second an ACOG is not like a variable powered optic.

Back