MEPS and Fort Jackson Questions

Private Fues

:rambo:

I recently joined the Army and am leaving for BCT on June 2nd for Fort Jackson, SC. I was wondering if there is anyone that is leaving around the same time...and destination.

When you ship out for the Reception Battalion...how long is it before you can go to the PX for clothes and stuff? Also, do you get issued towels or do you have to buy them at the PX? Someone mentioned some kind of packing list that has the things you need to take to the MEPS on the day you ship out for the Reception Battalion...clothing, documention, ect. If this is true, where on the internet can I find one of these list?

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

The sands of time cannot be stopped. Years pass whether we will them or not...but we can remember. What has been lost may yet live on in memories. The memories which we bear may be imperfect and fragmented, yet treasure them, for without memories, one does not exist.
~ Forever Remember September 11 ~

- Private Fues -

Welcome to the forum Private.. :D
Good to hear that you have decided to join the Army.

I'm afraid that I can't answer any of your questions, I from Norway, but I guess there should be several others here who knows a thing or two about this.

I changed the title of your post a bit, to make it easier to find.

Congrats on your decision to join. I just finished BCT and AIT so I am at my first duty station. I think that you should like Ft Jackson, it's easy, but not so easy that you won't work your ass off. You need to check with your recruiter and get the packing list from him. Don't buy towels, you will get issued them at reception. While at reception you will get one shot to go to a little px and buy everything that you forgot. What I would say is buy personal hygiene products before you go. Some people may give you a hard time about packing a lot, but it makes it a lot easier. YOu are going to need white socks and regardless of what other people tell you do not put your name on the top of the socks, put it where it can't be seen. Definetly take a permanent black marker with you and make sure you have a couple of black pens with you at all times.
Reception is a joke and don't get to used to the idea of standing around and doing nothing all day. Try to make sure you are in shape before you get to basic, it will make everything a lot easier. The first couple of weeks there suck really bad, but remember in red phase they want to confuse you and make you feel like you have no idea what is going on. After you get into BRM everything should be a lot easier and it's all uphill after that. The day that you graduate BCT is the greatest day of your life and I wish you the best. Always remember that it can only get easier and the Army is well worth the crap you put up with in BCT and AIT. But perhaps the most important thing for you to remember about Ft Jackson is have fun. I know I did and actually miss my drill sergeants and some of the people there.

Best of Luck,
PV2 Santistevan

Thanks for all of the replies. It was helpfull. Well I ship out in 15 days. I am getting even more excited and nervious by the minute! I just hope I have what it takes to make it all the way through. Anyways, thanks agian for the information.

PVT Fues

Back