In Memory of Senior Chief Engineman, USN

Sharon_357

Hi, my father was in the United States Navy, and he passed away this past May. Tonight I wrote a poem in memory of him, and I wanted to share it with any military -- especially Navy who might be reading here.

In Memory of Dad
by Sharon Mooney

Thank you Dad,
for all you gave,
to keep this country free,
from terrorists and madmen,
to secure our liberty.

Years of your life,
were sacrificed,
months alone out at sea,
with your brothers of the USN,
deepest thanks to you all, from me.

In our great homeland,
we've been truly blessed with peace,
a nation like no other on earth,
men like you, I thank,
who've fought to keep us free.

The military molded you to their way of life,
and to this day I still admire you,
honesty, respect, dignity, honor,
values you taught me from youth,
solid virtues I hope to aspire to.

You are dearly missed,
by all who knew and loved you,
you brought to us all,
somebody to trust in and believe,
though silent, you always were there,
and you'll always live in our memory.

------

My dad was a good man,
wise and strong,
all the things I strive to be,
much I loved and respected about him, I know,
he learned from the United States Navy.

http://ronie-mooney-encs.us

A very good poem. Sorry to hear about your father.

On a lighter note...Welcome to the Forums.

dougal said:
I bet hes reading it saying Im so proud of you being strong.

I do hope that's true, and I hope I'll see him one day again.

I think right now, the best thing I can do is maybe write a poem now and then, to share my fondness of Dad with others. I'm too old to join the military. Besides I would probably goof up and embarrass him. ;) He's alive, in our heart and soul. You realize just how strong you're not, when you lose a man like that. He's the one who kept everything in order and held things together. Without him, things just haven't been the same for our whole family. *laughs* though he did teach my sister to fix televisions and some of her skills with mechanics (he worked a lot on Diesel engines in the military). It seemed he knew everything, and he didn't stop learning until the time he became sick. When I was younger I took him for granted at times, and now, there's nothing I wouldn't give to have him back. The Navy really makes men irreplaceable.

Welcome to the forums Sharon.

I'm sorry to hear about your father....

dougal said:
You realize just how strong you're not,

Go look at your family and in the mirror. And then say how strong your not to yourself. You wont be able.

You've got to be military -- only military would think of something that meaningful to say (and in so few words). :p

dougal said:
You've got to be military -- only military would think of something that meaningful to say (and in so few words).

Nope only reserves. Otherwise a cheap student bum.

check out www.liambyrne.com/downloads.php and listen a few.

I downloaded one of the songs.. "The Forgotten", well, the download cut off halfway, but I caught most of it. I have a little one who's fussing at me for changing windows from the media player to the forum for response. ;)

We like your music, and will download some other tracks. Very nice.
Thanks!

dougal said:
Maybe you downloaded the intro. Hes a tribute to www.christymoore.com

A Irish hero in music. Makes you fall in love with lerics and Ireland. Your dad ever get here?

I checked out the site. I have never heard of Christy Moore. I am in America of course, and unfortunately music from overseas doesn't make it on our radio too often. The closest we get is PBS (Educational Television) and Public Broadcasting radio, which sometimes features music from overseas... they have featured a very nice program with Irish music, and it plays once a week for an hour. I found this a bit of interest (speaking as an American).. his name is Christy and his sister's name is Micheal. Of course I assumed it was a woman.
>In the beginning of this decade I began getting piano lessons from Sister Michael.

Speaking of Irish, we've got Irish roots -- I was the auburn haired kid of six. My Dad probably has been to Ireland with all the years he spent in the Navy -- I would have to ask my mother that question. I feel safe to bet he was. He was stationed all around the world during his service. Most of the time he ever discussed his military experience, he mostly told about his time in the Korean War, on ships, and in Asia. He never really talked about being stationed elsewhere though I am sure he was.

dougal said:
Maybe you downloaded the intro.

I'm positive I was shooting for the full version (2 meg?) and being on dialup as I am, unfortunately, it cuts off in the middle of downloads sometimes. Though it did succeed to get all of "allthelove". Very nice, and playing it for about the fifteenth time. :mrgreen:

Very nice. BTW, you said you're a student -- that's great. To call that being a "bum" is not. I'm a student. Currently working toward a Bachelors. I'm proud of my progress too. I was on the Dean's List last term. :D Not a bum!

He must be reading from upthere, man.
Thanks for sharing this with us. We appreciate of it a lot.
May your father RIP.
By serving the USN he served the cause of justice and liberty in the world.

Welcome to the boards Sharon.

Welcome Sharon. I'm sure your father would be as proud of you as you are of him. I'm pretty sure he's still looking after you.

:roll: This is no joke guys. I visited the Navy.com site, and saw they only allow people to enlist up to age 34. Wouldn't you know! I'm 35. :p I contacted them anyway. They steered me in the direction of Navy Reserves, which claims to accept people until age 38. LOL. The fellow at the Reserves told me if a person can do well enough, they can transfer into the Navy full time. :?:

My niece just wrote me about the holes worn into her feet during boot camp... and other problems she had during Marine boot camp. She said it was worth it for the pride and integrity.

Back