Memorial Day

crazytanker

Tomorrow is Memorial Day (in the US). I do not like to "celebrate" this holiday, but rather, observe this holiday. It's not about the BBQs, parties, sales, or a 3-day weekend. It's about the men and women who gave all when their country asked. Yes, I am a Veteran of the United States, but don't thank me for my service tomorrow, it's not my day. We have our day in November. Tomorrow is for our brothers and sisters who didn't walk off the plane, but instead bore their flag with honor.

Tomorrow is Memorial Day (in the US). I do not like to "celebrate" this holiday, but rather, observe this holiday. It's not about the BBQs, parties, sales, or a 3-day weekend. It's about the men and women who gave all when their country asked. Yes, I am a Veteran of the United States, but don't thank me for my service tomorrow, it's not my day. We have our day in November. Tomorrow is for our brothers and sisters who didn't walk off the plane, but instead bore their flag with honor.

I respectively agree with your opinion.

As I was scrolling through my news feed on Facebook a little bit ago, it amazed and saddened me how many people have Veterans Day and Memorial Day confused. Veterans Day is when we give thanks to our men and women in uniform. Memorial Day is when we pause to remember those who died in service to our country. It's an incredibly painful day for a lot of Veterans, and is the one day of the year when saying "thank you for your service" is just plain ignorant.

When I was a boy in London on Remembrance Sunday everyone stood for two minutes silence, even bus crews stopped the bus, the driver and conductor standing together for the two minutes silence. Its sad to say that today very few people observe the two minutes silence to remember the dead.

I live in a rural area with lots of vets, but we are ageing and the youngsters do not join organizations.

The Legion managed to get up a firing party and we fired salutes at 12 different small town and country cemeteries.

I didn't manage to get to any sales.

Salute to anybody who bothered to serve.

Back