Memorial in Afghanistan stirs soldiers’ emotions as they grapple with combat deaths

lvcabbie

A muted laughter echoed under the canopy as a small band of Company C soldiers gathered on a wooden platform. They talked of small things; unimportant things that made them smile.
But as a gentle music began to play, a somber realism took hold: The members of Company C, 1st Battalion, 32nd Regiment, part of the 10th Mountain Division out of Fort Drum, N.Y., were there to remember. They took their seats as the other guests settled in around them. Some bowed their heads in prayer. Others began to quietly weep.
A cruel emptiness filled the space as the battalion chaplain, Capt. Omari Thompson, read the names of the soldiers being remembered: Sgt. Edward J. Frank II, 26, of Yonkers, N.Y.; Spc. Jameel T. Freeman, 26, of Baltimore; Spc. Patrick L. Lay II, 21, of Fletcher, N.C.; Spc. Jordan M. Morris, 23, of Stillwater, Okla.; and Pfc. Rueben J. Lopez, 27, of Williams, Calif.
Read more @ http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-...ombat-deaths-1.152717?localLinksEnabled=false

Thank you for sharing this. It's very sad, but I don't ask my son much about it.
Yes, he's changed a little, yet, he's still happy he's there. He plans to reenlist.
I'm proud and scared but I know that goes with the territory for all of the families.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back