membership in NATO

Remington 1858

Okay, since this is a military forum, I want to throw out a controversial question. What do you think about NATO membership being extended to countries that border on Russia? Russia gets very nervous about NATO member countries right on their doorstep because whenever Russia has been invaded it has come from Western Europe. After WWII, Stalin had achieved a long- desired Russian strategic objective. A buffer zone had been created comprising the countries of Eastern Europe and more importantly, Germany had been neutralized as a threat. Now the buffer zone is gone and Germany is re-unified and is no longer under occupation by American and British forces. A small number of troops remain, but they don't effect German foreign policy. And, of course as we know, Germany can re-arm very quickly. Is Russia justified in attempting to recreate a buffer zone in the Eastern Ukraine? I'm quite sure that the U.S. would not tolerate Russian bases on it's doorstep, ( see Cuban Missile Crisis).

Okay, since this is a military forum, I want to throw out a controversial question. What do you think about NATO membership being extended to countries that border on Russia? Russia gets very nervous about NATO member countries right on their doorstep because whenever Russia has been invaded it has come from Western Europe. After WWII, Stalin had achieved a long- desired Russian strategic objective. A buffer zone had been created comprising the countries of Eastern Europe and more importantly, Germany had been neutralized as a threat. Now the buffer zone is gone and Germany is re-unified and is no longer under occupation by American and British forces. A small number of troops remain, but they don't effect German foreign policy. And, of course as we know, Germany can re-arm very quickly. Is Russia justified in attempting to recreate a buffer zone in the Eastern Ukraine? I'm quite sure that the U.S. would not tolerate Russian bases on it's doorstep, ( see Cuban Missile Crisis).

Yes I think Russia is understandably nervous about the encroachment of NATO especially when part of ending the cold war was that this was never going to happen.

I am not sure that justifies Russia forcibly creating a buffer zone of its own though, my impression in the Ukraine however is that had McCain and Nuland not deliberately stirred up the Ukrainians this would never have come about.

In the end though I will not blame the Russians for looking after their interests given that the West (in particular the USA) is doing exactly the same thing as you pointed out the US would not tolerate a Russian base on its doorstep.

Back