member participation

Achilles

Banned
how could the forum induce its members[all 958] to be more active in some way, its just a thought but maybe :idea: ...................................

Whoa, I don't know if anyone would really want that. I mean, If they all post 2 messages a day, the moderators would have to read about 320 posts per person per day. The bandwidth allone would cost Redleg a fortune, and we (the members) wouldn't be able to find our own posts on the forum.... I mean the total amount of posts would double in nine days!
Thanks, but no thanks. Evberybody's welcome in my opinion, but not all of 'm at the same time. :D

I don't think it would be possible to make evryone post here.
Many just sign up of curiosity..

I think it's quite normal for forums that only 5-10% of the registered members are active posters.

But it would be nice to get more active members, so all suggestions are welcome.. :D

How about this: Is it possible to award current members for getting a new member or a non-posting member to post? I mean like: Someone joins the forum, and in the form there's a question: "did a current member tell you about this forum?" The person who's name is entered there gets 100 MilBucks when the new member makes 1. Lieutenant or captain.
I don't know if it would work, but hey, you asked for suggestions, not for good ones. :D ;)

now theres an idea, :eek:fftopic: but hey 1217 whats it like living below sea level or do you live more inland. :?

Mod edit: That IS off-topic, stay on topic. Ever heard of thin ice?

It's possible to make some kind of affiliate system, where you can get milbucks for reffering new members..

I like the idea of that system (although it might result in a lot of spam).

Maybe 30 or 40 milbucks just for getting named as the referring party?

I've seen one mod. like that, it's a link you have to post on your site, and you automatically get a certain amount of milbucks if someone clicks that link and registers here...

And you're right, it can result in a lot of spamming, that's why I haven't installed it (yet)..

Redneck said:
I like the idea of that system (although it might result in a lot of spam).

Maybe 30 or 40 milbucks just for getting named as the referring party?

but dont spammers get kicked off the forum, that would be enough to keep me from doing it. :D

iv been a member of a couple of fourms. they all go through stages, high where u get lotsa posts, which generally occurs at the start. then low, where it dies down, this shows who the core group of posters is, then the gradual rise,where it gets steady, but never up to original high.
this forum is on a topic which is forever relevant, so there will always be content to discuss, dw abt dwindling posts, your core member will carry you through. and yes, while offering incentives for getting people to join is a good idea, a better one might be to offer points to people who have a person join up and post consistently for a set period.
on another forum im on we have a guest and a members area, if you post consistently (2+ posts per day) for 3 weeks you are accepted as a member as we can see you will participate in the community.

Locke said:
(2+ posts per day) for 3 weeks you are accepted as a member as we can see you will participate in the community.
That alone doesn't differentiate between spammers and "active members that participate in the community", so it could induce spamming....

I'll check out that affiliate mod, and see if it suitable for this forum.

1217 was talking about it costing to much money to try to make this site wider known by whatever means, s owhy not deactivate dead accounts after such-n-such a time :p

about face said:
1217 was talking about it costing to much money to try to make this site wider known by whatever means, s owhy not deactivate dead accounts after such-n-such a time :p

That's no problem, unactive members does not use any bandwidth..
And my current hosting package can still handle more members, so start spreading the good word guys.. :D

redleg said,
That's no problem, unactive members does not use any bandwidth..
And my current hosting package can still handle more members, so start spreading the good word guys.. :D

How many members, because if a rush comes, of say, 1000 or so within a
short time of sudden expantion could you handle it sir. :army:

Back