Medical question

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I had some problems at band practice today. I was marching, minding my own business, when I started feeling like I was going to pass out.

Now, I've had a good deal of experience, adn I can tell, from how my body feels before I go down, why I'm going down (food, dehydration, other medical problem). I could not hear (tinnitus) and could not see- all I saw were green and white- it's about all there is on a band field anyway. Now, the temperature was high, and the symptoms were synonymous with heat stroke/heat exhaustion and dehydration. However, I have passed out once from heat exhaustion and never had the above symptoms- I just felt like crap and collapsed. Today, I fell out of formation and just sat down until my vision and hearing returned to normal, and ended up having the same thing happen 20 minutes later.

However, I have a heart problem in which blood pools in the ventricle. I've passed out 5 times, but have never had chest pains- that's the thing that's worrying me. From what I can discern, the fact that my heart valve doesn't function correctly interferes with my circulation, which in turn affects the regulation of my body's temperature and its ability to cool itself. Should I be concerned about the chest pain? I have a feeling that if I go to a doctor, I'll hear what I heard four years ago- your heart's jacked up, you're probably ineligible for military service, you may require surgery down the road. I'll go through some more EKGs and a stress test, and get the same results. Still, should I schedule another appointment?

yeah. If I have better hydration at my next practice and I still have problems, I'm going to schedule an appointment. I don't know how much my heart valve's changed in four years, but hey, I've been physically active, both aerobically and anaerobically, so common sense tells me it can't be much worse.

Yes go to the doctor's again, quick smart.

Common sense ha, well honey your heart is giving you a warning now, the light headedness then the sweating, your blood pressure is dropping to you boots, the heart rekicks back into forcing your BP beyond normal limits, hence the sweating and feeling crap.

Chest pain is not always telling you your hearts the problem, there can be pain in your shoulders, pain in left arm , even in your lower jaw is cardiac.

Got to say blood pressure is most controled by your kidney's not your heart, wont mind betting you have problems there too.

Off to the quack with you hun.

Ok.. Deerslayer... if you are reading this and have not yet gone to the doctor......... back away from the keyboard, and go.......to the doctor....

really, I think that it was mostly due to dehydration and heat exhaustion. Like I said, with regards to passing out, I've never had those exact sensations, nor the chest throbbing, which worries me. I have a heart murmur, but if I feel palpitations like that again, I'm definitely making an appointment. I'll see what happens thursday.

Kiwi- it was around 95*, the humidity was around the upper 90%, which at least partially accounts for these symptoms. However, I'm not ruling out any other medical conditions at this time.

Last edited:
Look, either way, you're not going to hide a valve problem from the doc when you go for your military physical (it's amazing what a stethoscope can pick up...I guess that's why they use it!), so don't kid yourself into thinking that by avoiding the doc now, it's going to be any easier for you to get into the military.

Honey listen to Nurse Kiwi "Goto the DOCTOR!!!!!"

Don't go mucking about.

Yeah the heat and humdity plays a rule, I agree, it puts great stress on your body, and Honey where I live it shots way above the 100.

I know how heat effects.

Please just go to the doctor.

My way of thinking if you don't fix it now, the military is not going to touch you. You will put other people at risk, they wont let you do that.

Kiwi said:
Honey listen to Nurse Kiwi "Goto the DOCTOR!!!!!"

Don't go mucking about.

Yeah the heat and humdity plays a rule, I agree, it puts great stress on your body, and Honey where I live it shots way above the 100.

I know how heat effects.

Please just go to the doctor.

My way of thinking if you don't fix it now, the military is not going to touch you. You will put other people at risk, they wont let you do that.

And the younger you have any surgery done, the shorter your healing time and better chances for success.

Move your arse ....

There is another possibility. Kiwi mentioned low blood pressure ... but ... the other side of the coin is high blood pressure. That's one that I can personally talk about - I take medication for high blood pressure.

I began to have moderate lightheadedness when I exerted my self and began to have little green flashes going off in the back of my eyes. It was as though I was standing in the center of a lightning storm. I also had some discomfort in my shoulders, chest and arms.

When I passed out for the third or fourth time, my wife pestered me to death until I went to the VA to have the problem checked out. To say that my wife was pissed was putting it lightly. Her comment to me was, "there was no d*mn way that I was going to die before she did". A real eye opener.

Doctors found out that I had developed Type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and NASH (Non-Alcoholic Steato Hepatitis [fat liver]).

So you can see, there are way too many probable causes that can cause your problems.

Using the possibility that you will be disqualified for military service as a reason for NOT having this problem taken care of, sounds like a cop-out to me - maybe you don't really want to know what the problem is.

IF you are married (or not), and you want to stay around for awhile longer, then I suggest you get your arse into the doctor's office and find out what the "real" problem is. Waiting will ONLY make the situation worse - that's what usually happens when a health problem isn't handled until too late. It could lead to a shorter life span if you wait too long.

thing is, I got this thing checked out three years ago, it came clean, more or less, said it wouldn't affect me unless I didn't properly take care of my body (which I didn't on the band field). I've been to two more practices without any chest pains or problems from dehydration. While I'm still more or less convinced that heat exhaustion was the major culprit, I've scheduled an appointment to check out the ticker.

Chief- married? Moi? I'm about to turn seventeen. I've never had a girlfriend in my life- I probably couldn't stand the stress.

thing is, I got this thing checked out three years ago, it came clean, more or less, said it wouldn't affect me unless I didn't properly take care of my body (which I didn't on the band field). I've been to two more practices without any chest pains or problems from dehydration. While I'm still more or less convinced that heat exhaustion was the major culprit, I've scheduled an appointment to check out the ticker.

Chief- married? Moi? I'm about to turn seventeen. I've never had a girlfriend in my life- I probably couldn't stand the stress.
OOPS - my boo ........

Thats ok hun, I don't find that weird, growing up and even now men out number women on my friends list.

No worries honey.

Yeah I do its too many years of nursing, cause I do things to people that you really want someone nice doing that to you.:mrgreen:

Kinda involves a long tube and KY. Be thankful honey your too young for that.

Plus my patients and their families when they come to me its generally the worst days of their lives. And calling their loved ones honey seems to relax them. It kinda stuck.

Our cultures are different, and really here honey, love, pet, sugar, mate, blue and cobber are all the same.

I'm not being fresh, its just a saying. :-D

Last edited:
Yeah I do its too many years of nursing, cause I do things to people that you really want someone nice doing that to you.:mrgreen:

Kinda involves a long tube and KY. Be thankful honey your too young for that.

Plus my patients and their families when they come to me its generally the worst days of their lives. And calling their loved ones honey seems to relax them. It kinda stuck.

Our cultures are different, and really here honey, love, pet, sugar, mate, blue and cobber are all the same.

I'm not being fresh, its just a saying. :-D

oh, we have the same set of terms of endearment, I just never endeared myself to them. :)

Back