Medal of the Month

--

September 12th, 2014  
tetvet

Topic: Medal of the Month

In Vietnam Aviation we used to call The Air Medal the medal of the month they were easy to rack up , for every 25 hours in contact you got an Air Medal , I had 14 but there were many / plenty of others that had 20 - 25 and more , the citations usually covered 5-10 medals since individual citations were too time consuming and they all read the same , the key words were in contact or contact with the enemy and ahc's ( assault helicopter company's ) were in contact most every flight .
September 12th, 2014  
The Highway Man

I had one medal, for 2 years service in Northern Ireland, that will do me thank you very much.
September 12th, 2014  
tetvet

Northern Ireland , the Order of the Leprechaun ? .
--
September 12th, 2014  
The Highway Man

General Service Medal and clasp (N.I.) issued for serving at least 28 days in the province during the troubles. I spent 18 months in uniform on police patrol and 6 months in plain clothes on weapons intelligence investigating terrorist incidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles
September 12th, 2014  
tetvet

Falls Road Belfast , does that ring a bell ? .
September 13th, 2014  
The Highway Man

Falls Road is at the heart of the republican stronghold of West Belfast. One of the tallest buildings is Divis flats, known by squaddies as Zanussi heights as many a British Army foot patrol had a washing machine dropped off the top of the flats as they walked below!!!
September 13th, 2014  
tetvet

I know .
September 13th, 2014  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
In Vietnam Aviation we used to call The Air Medal the medal of the month they were easy to rack up , for every 25 hours in contact you got an Air Medal , I had 14 but there were many / plenty of others that had 20 - 25 and more , the citations usually covered 5-10 medals since individual citations were too time consuming and they all read the same , the key words were in contact or contact with the enemy and ahc's ( assault helicopter company's ) were in contact most every flight .
Gee dunk...we give out too many awards in the US military for simply doing our jobs...my dad had a ton of air medals too and he said it was a joke. Of course, to get a valor award then as in now, it's almost impossible because of the ticket puncher guardians. It makes me sick.

Also, contact is a relative term I'm sure....
September 13th, 2014  
tetvet

The Purple Heart became a joke also they were handing them out for mere scratch's or bruises .
September 13th, 2014  
brinktk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
The Purple Heart became a joke also they were handing them out for mere scratch's or bruises .
They have tightened the reigns on those in my war. They were denying a lot of guys Purple Hearts because they refused evacuation even though they may have had gunshot wounds or shrapnel peppered all over them. I have my own theories about why that is for the Iraq war but we won't go into it here.

I'll also say I saw a PFC do an action (single handedly take out 3 bunkers completely on his own initiative under intense fire) where he was put in for a silver star....it was downgraded to an ARCOM-V...total BS.