Medal of the Month

tetvet

Banned
:salute2::sniper:In Vietnam Aviation we used to call The Air Medal the medal of the month they were easy to rack up , for every 25 hours in contact you got an Air Medal , I had 14 but there were many / plenty of others that had 20 - 25:bravo: and more , the citations usually covered 5-10 medals since individual citations were too time consuming and they all read the same , the key words were in contact or contact with the enemy and ahc's ( assault helicopter company's ) were in contact most every flight .

Last edited:
Falls Road is at the heart of the republican stronghold of West Belfast. One of the tallest buildings is Divis flats, known by squaddies as Zanussi heights as many a British Army foot patrol had a washing machine dropped off the top of the flats as they walked below!!!

:salute2::sniper:In Vietnam Aviation we used to call The Air Medal the medal of the month they were easy to rack up , for every 25 hours in contact you got an Air Medal , I had 14 but there were many / plenty of others that had 20 - 25:bravo: and more , the citations usually covered 5-10 medals since individual citations were too time consuming and they all read the same , the key words were in contact or contact with the enemy and ahc's ( assault helicopter company's ) were in contact most every flight .

Gee dunk...we give out too many awards in the US military for simply doing our jobs...my dad had a ton of air medals too and he said it was a joke. Of course, to get a valor award then as in now, it's almost impossible because of the ticket puncher guardians. It makes me sick.

Also, contact is a relative term I'm sure....

Last edited:
The Purple Heart became a joke also they were handing them out for mere scratch's or bruises .

They have tightened the reigns on those in my war. They were denying a lot of guys Purple Hearts because they refused evacuation even though they may have had gunshot wounds or shrapnel peppered all over them. I have my own theories about why that is for the Iraq war but we won't go into it here.

I'll also say I saw a PFC do an action (single handedly take out 3 bunkers completely on his own initiative under intense fire) where he was put in for a silver star....it was downgraded to an ARCOM-V...total BS.

Yes that was a bit of a down grade , but not having been there I can't say. the Air Medals I mentioned were for meritorious service to get one for valor V device you still had to do something a bit more .

Back