Medal ID

mads0204

Hi All

An elderly friend has asked me to ID this medal for her, it belonged to her auntie who was given it by her husband on his return from the Ypres War, there are no marks on the back apart from sterling silver.

I cant find a thing on it, any ideas???

[URL
Medal001.jpg
[/URL]"

Many thanks

Mads

It is a strange one, the ribbon is the same as the 1873-74 Ashantee medal or the East and West African Medal yet the medal itself is nothing like it.
Is there anything written around the edge of the medal (as in the picture below)?
ashantee_1873_74_naming.JPG

Out of interest was he a boxer?
As the case the medal is in is labelled W. Holmes Medalists and they made a lot of boxing related medals.

Last edited:
Looking at the photograph it looks like the chap has a Number 1 Mk1 Lee Enfield, not a SMLE Number 1 Mk3 or Number 1 Mk3* as issued during WW1

Hi,

No he wasn't a boxer to my knowledge, Ive taken a good look at the medal and can find no writing on it anywhere other than Sterling Silver.
I also found out today that William (in the picture) may of been given this by his dad who was in the Boer War, just another avenue to pursue.

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated.

Mads

Last edited:
In my experience it is very odd for a British medal to have no information on the medal itself even if it is just the name of the reigning monarch, the ribbon is most certainly military in nature and it is identical to a couple of African campaign medals issued around 1870-1905 period (for example Niger 1897, Sierra Leone 1898-99 and Nigeria 1904).

However I have not seen that ribbon used for any Boer War or South African campaigns so I would suggest that it was awarded to his father for another posting to the African continent, for example he could have been serving in one of the East or West African colonies and transfered to South Africa at the outbreak of war.

At this stage I am more inclined to think that it may be a military campaign ribbon attached to a civilian commemorative medal.

What is the text on the miniture bayonet (which looks like a French MLE 1892 model to me)?

Back