Medak Pocket - Page 2

--

January 3rd, 2005  
Marksman

Quote:
...... Well I know a lot of my buddies who were there attached to the PPCLI and Medak was pretty crazy, it was a real battle and keep in mind when you question if Canadians did their job or not when you read this:

The Croatians hammered the Canadians for 15 hours straight -- thinking the 30 soldiers from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry would buckle and run like other UN peacekeepers had often done. But the Canadians, members of one of three platoons making up the Patricia's Charlie Company, held their ground. did their job or not when you read this:
thats all ok,that specific unit fought as hell,but civilians still died,so its mission failure,not for canadians,for UN. thats my point.UN comes there with their troops only to be in the region,i mean whats the point of it all when they are hands-tied to do anything about inicent being killed? UN's mission is to protect the civilians and inocent,and after all they are the one who die the most...........something just aint right.

PS: all honnors to the Canadian forces in the region,they made to be one of the most dedicated units in the region........
January 3rd, 2005  
Pete031

I understand that, but people have to want peace in order for the UN to be of an help... You can't send in a UN multinational force to protect people who want to fight... The Soldiers on the ground will do their job, but if people still want to fight, they will fight
January 3rd, 2005  
Pete031

I understand that, but people have to want peace in order for the UN to be of an help... You can't send in a UN multinational force to protect people who want to fight... The Soldiers on the ground will do their job, but if people still want to fight, they will fight
--
January 4th, 2005  
Marksman

......if ppl didnt want to fight there would be no reason for UN presence in the area,if it was simple as that,world peace would be a possible thing.UN cant get everything on a silver plate,they have to make peace,to make sides at war to make on and during that,to protect inocent and civilians.
January 4th, 2005  
Pete031

excatly
January 4th, 2005  
Marksman

Quote:
excatly
....ok im a bit confused now,my point is that UN should keep peace even if sides at war dont want to make peace,and during so,protect weak and inocent
January 4th, 2005  
Pete031

And that is what they are doing, and were succesful in the Balkans with that.
January 4th, 2005  
Marksman

after who knows how much civilians died....eather serbs,croats and bosnians..................mission succseded with major failures
May 1st, 2009  
Hrvat-seljak-katolik

I’m afraid there never was a battle between Croatian troops and Canadian (and French) peacekeepers. I guess there was a certain degree of mutual mistrust and disrespect, and it is true that after the Medak Pocket operation some minor incidents happened, but it’s hard to call those incidents “a battle”.

I do not intend to question the honesty of Canadian soldiers, of course. The source of the impression of “the greatest battle of the Canadian Army since the Korean War” – as well as of the romanticized interpretation of the role Canadians played in the events during and after the operation – lies in quite unusual claim that Croats, or some Croatian media (mostly television, but in some versions it is local radio), confirmed 27 dead (or dead and wounded) in the battle with Canadian blue helmets. But this seems to be simply made-up – or, at least, the result of misunderstanding and lousy translation.

The Canadian media’s interpretation of the events have never been taken seriously in Croatia. (Unfortunately, for that interpretation seems to be commonly accepted in Canada and I guess it does certain damage to Croatia.) Indeed, anyone acquainted with the political and military situation in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina in 90s, will found claims of there being a battle between UN and Croatian forces extremely implausible.

However, I have find no single report from a Croatian source of the time – or even from a Serbian source, for that matter – which confirms or implies that supposed battle between Croatian and Canadian forces ever took place. Moreover, I’ve find not a single vet of the Croatian 9th Guard Brigade who affirms any battle with UN forces ever occurred. And during Ademi-Norac trial, UN officials explicitly denied there was anything more than minor fire-exchange with no casualties. Most important, no political or military document from the time considered – Croatian, Serbian or UN’s – mentions this alleged battle. The correspondence between general Bobetko and general Cot at the time during and after the operation confirms there were some tensions between Croats and Canadians, but certainly no battle.

Now, the Croatian figures report 10 deaths on Croatian side during that period, all killed in combat with Serbian forces, not Canadian. I think this number includes members of the Special Police forces killed on Velebit mountain prior to the operation, for some documents talks of only 6 men killed. By the end of the war in 1995, the total losses of the 9th Guard Brigade were 56 dead. And, if I remember well, all Canadian and French wounded were harmed in a minefield (about a week after the battle supposedly happened) or during the shelling of the Serbian positions - none of them wounded by any sort of infantry weapon.

Of course, I might be wrong, but taking all into account it seems highly unlikely that alleged battle between Croats and Canadians ever happened. I don’t say that soldiers just made all up for some reason – after all, there are documents reporting minor incidents, warning shots and, probably, some fire-exchange – but calling that “a battle” is, at best, an exaggeration
May 21st, 2009  
homerjsimpson94

lol
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...36#post4100336