Meaning of the Purple Heart

Rotty261

It seems to me that the values behind the Purple Heart have been forgotten. I have seen and heard of people getting Purple Hearts for injuries in a combat zone but the injuries are not combat related. For instance, a service member falls while running towards a bunker because they think they hear an explosion and gets hurt in the fall. Is that a valid reason to have the Purple Heart awarded? I will always show my respect to any one that has been awarded the Purple Heart, but I hope that the award is not just being handed out for any scrape on the knee or bruise from falling down....

In my 20+ years, I have never seen a PH awarded without merit. I have heard of instances where it was questionable, but as I was not there - I can't make a valid judgment. It is common, especially during war for awards to be given out a bit more liberally than in peace time, but this does not mean the validity of the award needs to be questioned. And unless you've been in a combat zone, it's really difficult to make a judgment on what someone does and does not deserve.

Here's what the AR 600-8-22 says about the purple heart

(6) It is not intended that such a strict interpretation of the requirement for the wound or injury to be caused by direct result of hostile action be taken that it would preclude the award being made to deserving personnel. Commanders must also take into consideration, the circumstances surrounding an injury, even if it appears to meet the criteria. Note the following examples:

(a) In case such as an individual injured while making a parachute landing from an aircraft that had been brought down enemy fire; or, an individual injured as a result of a vehicle accident caused by enemy fire, the decision will be made in favor of the individual and the award will be made.

(c) Individuals injured as a result of their own negligence; for example, driving or walking through an unauthorized area known to have been mined or placed off limits or searching for or picking up unexploded munitions as war souvenirs, will not be awarded the Purple Heart as they clearly were not injured as a result of enemy action, but rather by their own negligence.

http://www.purpleheart.org/Awd_of_PH.htm

it tooks like that instance is left to the discretion of the commander.

The purple heart isnt something to be awarded to people who REMOVED, or people who throw hand grenades in rice barrels because theyre board or shoot stuff they dont know how to use.

Patriot_1989tobeyond and ravensword227, your posts are unnacceptable here, do not use lewd or otherwise offensive language, you will not gain any cool points by doing so.

in retrospect..maybee she was a V.C. Hooker?

Just being contrary of course no one visiting a bordello and getting his hose chomped should get a purple heart..i mean how would someone write up the citation?

RnderSafe said:
In my 20+ years, I have never seen a PH awarded without merit. I have heard of instances where it was questionable, but as I was not there - I can't make a valid judgment. It is common, especially during war for awards to be given out a bit more liberally than in peace time, but this does not mean the validity of the award needs to be questioned. And unless you've been in a combat zone, it's really difficult to make a judgment on what someone does and does not deserve.

I am in a combat zone and am not questioning what anyone deserves just wondering if the award has became a "gimmie" so to speak for any and all injuries combat related or not....

Rotty261 said:
I am in a combat zone and am not questioning what anyone deserves just wondering if the award has became a "gimmie" so to speak for any and all injuries combat related or not....

I am not sure as to why you feel my comment was personally directed towards you. Try not to be so personal, it tends to ruin a discussion.

As to the award becoming a "gimmie," different units will have different standards. A combat unit will not be as likely to give the PH for injuries that a non-combat unit perhaps would as the mission, mindset, etc are different - and then there are a lot that do not get them at all when they should.

RnderSafe said:
Rotty261 said:

I am not sure as to why you feel my comment was personally directed towards you. Try not to be so personal, it tends to ruin a discussion.

As to the award becoming a "gimmie," different units will have different standards. A combat unit will not be as likely to give the PH for injuries that a non-combat unit perhaps would as the mission, mindset, etc are different - and then there are a lot that do not get them at all when they should.

I was not taking it personally, I just don't want anyone to think that I am trying to take away anything from those that deserved/earned the medal. What you said about the difference between combat and non combat units sounds like it is right on the money for what I have heard and witnessed.....

Back