MCO question.

Somehow, hearing an Officer say"ten...hut" just doesn't sound right. The most times I heard it was from an NCO. I had a Top who had the effect on everyone's body of wanting to snap to automatically when he walked in. When he spoke with his "inside" voice, your ears would ring for a while. A poor 2nd Lt. who was the CO of the launch pits would ease his office door closed when Top came into the orderly room. Dress Greens were his uniform and when we all changed to khakis, he still wore his dress greens and campaign cap, year `round and I never saw him in a set of fatigues.

Chief Bones said:
"Can a ***** ***** NCO bring a non rate to attention if the situation warrants it for purposes of correction?"

What s*ithouse lawyer came up with this crappy question and argument.

Trooper you need to take your dusty copy of the UCMJ down from the closet in the outhouse and answer your own d*mn question. Every reference you need is contained in that manual.

As an E-4/E-5 NCO (any military branch, if a non rate E-1/E-2/E-3 (any military branch) screwed up I would have locked his heels to attention so fast his eyeballs wouldn't have had a chance to settle back into his head from snapping "eyes front".

If I had gotten an argument from Mr "dumbsh*t", I would have taken him to the Bosun's Locker and adjusted his attitude.

I can't believe that the Marines have forgotten one of the major reasons for the Marine's Thursday Night Smokers. Recalcitrant juniors regularly had attitude matches with a senior who finally said enough. It was either that or write junior up and screw up an otherwise talented young Marine.

TO ALL OF YOU REAL JARHEADS OUT THERE - AM I RIGHT OR AM I WRONG? OOH RAH!

Nice go Chief. Like I said this is a topic of discussion. The issue has yet to present itself. It is the opinion of all but 1 NCO and a few junior Marines that think you can not be locked to the POA (in my shop). I was just asking the question in case there was a MCO or other reg out there that I had somehow missed. Nothing I have read or heard of says an NCO can not do this. So that must mean that I CAN do this. Meh, if/when the situation arises I will take the appropriate actions.

As to wall-to-wall, treeline, smokehouse or other euphemisms, sadly those days are over. If they weren't then I can guarantee things would be much different than they are nowadays.

Remember, the Army and the Navy have changed since the day I raised my hand and swore to protect and defend.

I joined the Army in the last days of resolving a "problem" between an NCO and a junior enlisted that just didn't want to get with it by use of the "wall-to-wall" waltz. Back then the NCO would take the young trooper out back of the barracks, both men would remove their uniform shirts (thus no chevrons) and resolve their differences. Once the situation resolved itself, the uniform shirts went back on again and nothing further was ever mentioned about it.

According to some of the "real old" hands, maybe it is a good thing that those good old days are a thing of the past. There were the scattered exceptions - NCOs that would set out to pick a fight with a trooper just because they felt like it. They were very very rare exceptions. Most NCOs that had to resort to this mode of "learned response" training did it with great reluctance.

The rare Navy Chief that had to take a young sailor to the bosun's locker were even more reluctant and circumspect because of the closeness of a ship's crew. There are NO secrets aboard a Naval ship - the word quickly makes the rounds.

Sadly, your comment: "As to wall-to-wall, treeline, smokehouse or other euphemisms, sadly those days are over. If they weren't then I can guarantee things would be much different than they are nowadays" are being echoed by more and more NCOs as the military continues the politicization of the military.

The "pansy" liberals have softened the lines between those that lead and those who follow so much that we recently had a post on this very forum where a young Senior "Cadet" was concerned about a junior female "cadet" sitting at the mess hall tables chatting away like a magpie with senior officers and calling them by their first names.

I'm glad I'm numbered in the retired ranks. The changes are not necessarily for the better.

I gotta agree with the Chief. When I was a fuzzy butt Pvt, PFC and Lcpl the thought of not snapping too when told to by an NCO never entered my mind. Wouldn't have mattered to me if he was the NCOIC of Scuttlebutt Maintiance at Cash Sales or my squad leader. You did it because they were an NCO.

As far as tree lines. In my experiance it was generally the Salty Lcpl's who got that treatment. Because the NCO didn't want to ruin their jacket.

well as i was walking around the base the other day this topic came up and i would look at all the NCO's and SNCO's, and i would realize if one of them would have the need to call me to the POA, i probably would not be the one to say f$$k off, as when i become an NCO i would expect the respect if i needed to put someone at the POA. i wonder if i can retract my last statement and say yes, as a Junior Marine i would go to the POA if an NCO called me to it.

Billet

I know this forum is ancient but I need to put my two cents in here anyways. I don't know how the other units did it but at the begging of this decade in 1/4 we were a bunch of drunken, fighting *******s who should have been locked in glass case that read "Break only in case of war". We were getting NJPed left and right for brawling, underage drinking, DUIs, hazing boots, and so on. So needless to say we had an excess of senior marines who were non-ncos. The only ones that were left who were still sergeants and corporals were the pussiest mother ****ers you ever seen. These bitches wouldn't even have a beer or even knew how to fight. All these fags were nothing but suck dicks and MCI nerd. You can't respect a man you can beat the **** out of, it's just a fact. So when it came time for the platoon sergeants to pick their squad leaders and team leaders who do you think they picked. The Corporals and Sergeants with no balls and commanded no respect, or the NJPed Lance Corporals and PFC who were not afraid to do whatever needed to been to be done (legal or otherwise) to get the mission accomplished. Of course they picked the latter. I would personally beat the **** out of guys in my fireteam if they ever sassed me or hesitated to obey me because I was a 3 year PFC. They learned quick not to **** with me, do what I tell them and if they do that the old PFC twice NJPed team leader will get them home in one piece. Also keep in mind that I was a team leader for the invasion of Iraq. We got our boots just before we deploed. I didn't have time to **** around. They needed to obey my orders as their team leader and if I had to give them a little tap on the head to make sure that happened then that's what I did. I'm a pretty big guy and pretty good in a fight. Not too many guys in my platoon or company wanted to piss me off. So my point is, if one of these Corporals or Sergeants who only got that rank because their too pussy to do anything to get NJPed like the rest of us had ordered me to POA I would laughed, told them to try and physically make to go to POA and then laughed some more as they walked away with their head hanging and tail between their legs in defeat. And they could have tried to do the whole page 11 or NJP but that wouldn't have worked. Once you've been NJPed a couple times its like who gives a ****. Marine Corps can keep their rank b******t because the real power comes from the billet. At least thats how it was a few years back in 1/4. Good times.

Wow, I am just SO impressed. Scared, really. I mean, a Marine like you running around, kicking the crap out of us helpless E-5's? I should turn in my man card.

Then again, maybe you should attempt some of that "corrective training" on me and find out how far it gets you, hooah?

As to this 2005 topic: you respect the rank even if you do not respect the person. I was an Infantry, but when a Finance Officer walked by, I saluted him or her. You salute anything that is gold or silver on the collar. Period.

We had an unwritten rule: if there was a Pvt in need of some counseling, I would go to his squad leader and let HIM initiate whatever corrective action he so deemed fit. COULD I have locked him up? Yes.

But the question should never be what one CAN do, but rather what one SHOULD do.

The only thing that going soft on discipline and rank structure did was encourage people to create gangs and other organized crime or subversive elements.

Back