McNabb has last laugh in Owens' return to Philadelphia

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6134790,00.html
By Jeff Moeller
PHILADELPHIA, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Quarterback Donovan McNabb and the Philadelphia Eagles spoiled Terrell Owens' much-hyped return to the City of Brotherly Love on Sunday, the Eagles rolling to a 38-24 victory over the Dallas Cowboys.
Owens, public enemy number one in Philadelphia following a series of explosive feuds with team mates and coaches last season, made his first appearance in the city since joining Dallas but his presence had more impact off the field than on it.
The Cowboys' receiver caught just three passes for 45 yards.
McNabb, the target of some of Owens' most stinging attacks, had the last laugh, completing 18-of-33 pass attempts for 354 yards and a pair of touchdowns and running in another.
"The delight I have is looking up at the scoreboard and seeing 38-24," McNabb told reporters. "We just wanted to go out there and win.
"This is a total team game. It wasn't about Donovan versus T.O. It was the Dallas Cowboys versus the Philadelphia Eagles."
The victory moved the Eagles to the top of the NFC East with a record of 4-1 while the Cowboys slipped 2-2.
Before the game fans in parking lots had nailed Owens jerseys to a cross while others doused them in lighter fluid and set them ablaze.
In anticipation of the controversial wide receiver's return, security around and inside the stadium was doubled.
PULL THE TRIGGER
But Owens appeared relaxed and shrugged off the continuous taunting by the fans, many of whom arrived in the morning to prepare for his arrival.
"Actually, I thought it wouldn't be that bad," said Owens. "When I was here, they (fans) were loving me. For many reasons, I thought it could have been worse."
Dallas started brightly and took a 21-17 lead at the half, scoring on touchdowns from Marion Barber III, Drew Bledsoe and a Demarcus Ware 69-yard fumble recovery.
But the Eagles defence stiffened in the second half and allowed Dallas just three more points.
McNabb went to work, opening the third quarter with an 87-yard touchdown pass to Hank Baskett and a 40-yard strike to Reggie Brown in the fourth as the Eagles moved 31-24 ahead.
Dallas had a chance to tie the game with 31 seconds remaining after a pass interference call gave them the ball on the Eagles' six-yard line.
But Dallas quarterback Bledsoe was picked off in the end zone by Lito Sheppard, who returned the interception 102 yards for a touchdown as a sold-out Lincoln Financial Field crowd of 69,268 went wild.
"We lost, we lost the game," said Owens, who was seen screaming at coaches on the side lines.
"I'm a competitor and I hate to lose. I was frustrated throughout the day. I felt like I was open on several occasions.
"There were opportunities for me to make plays. But I'm not pulling the trigger. I'm not pointing any fingers."

Back