McGrady concerned about New Orleans

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Houston Rockets star Tracy McGrady said Wednesday he would consider skipping next year's All-Star game if he felt he wouldn't be safe in New Orleans.
"When they first mentioned to me that the All-Star game was going to be in New Orleans, the first thing I thought about is how much security they are going to have for the players and everybody there," McGrady said.
"I don't think it's the right city to have this type of event right now. I know the city is in need of trying to get back on their feet, in need of money. Safety comes first. I'm sure they have to do a lot of research and look into before they really make this decision."
The security issue became a larger concern after there were hundreds of arrests in Las Vegas during All-Star weekend.
"If I don't feel that I'm going to be safe, if I am on that team, I will look into probably not even going," McGrady said.
McGrady's comments came two days after union director Billy Hunter raised his concerns over New Orleans' ability to host the weekend's events, telling Newsday that, "If the union is not convinced that the city can accommodate the All-Star game, it's an issue that will be subject to litigation between the union and the league."
However, Hunter said he was just speaking hypothetically, and both he and NBA commissioner David Stern said they expect next year's weekend to be successful

Back