McCartney attacks China over fur

phoenix80

Banned
McCartney attacks China over fur

BBC News
Monday, 28 November 2005

Sir Paul McCartney has vowed never to perform in China after seeing horrific undercover footage of dogs and cats being killed for their fur.
The former Beatle also said he would boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics after viewing the footage taken in a fur market in Guangzhou, southern China.

The film shows animals being thrown from a bus, and into boiling water.

A Chinese official said boycotts were not justified, and blamed US and European consumers for buying the fur.

In the film, dogs and cats packed by the dozen into wire cages little bigger than lobster pots are pictured being thrown from the top deck of a converted bus onto concrete pavements.

The screaming animals, many with their paws now smashed from the fall, are then lifted out with long metal tongs and thrown over a seven foot fence.

They are then killed and skinned for their fur.

Animal welfare group Peta believes many of them are still alive as their skins are peeled away.

Sir Paul, and his wife Heather, looked aghast and close to tears as they watched the footage for a special report for the BBC's Six O'clock News to be screened on Monday.

They urged people not to buy Chinese goods.

"This is barbaric. Horrific," said Sir Paul.

"It's like something out of the dark ages. And they seem to get a kick out it. They're just sick, sick people.

"I wouldn't even dream of going over there to play, in the same way I wouldn't go to a country that supported apartheid. This is just disgusting. It's just against every rule of humanity. I couldn't go there."

In another piece of the harrowing footage, shot this summer by an undercover investigator connected to the People for the Ethical treatment of Animals (Peta) campaign group, cats are seen squirming inside a sack which is then thrown into a vat of steaming water.

They are boiled to death and skinned by a fleecing machine similar to a launderette tumble drier.

Some of the 28-minute footage is too gruesome to be broadcast.

Campaigners estimate that over two million dogs and cats are killed for their fur in China every year. China also farms animals such as mink for their fur and makes over half of the world's fur products.

McCartney added: "How can the host nation of the Olympics be seen allowing animals to be treated in this terrible way?"

Heather McCartney, herself a vociferous animal rights campaigner added: "I've seen so much footage where these poor creatures are clearly alive when they're skinned. And for what? For fashion? It's sick.

"People in every other country in the world should now boycott Chinese goods."

read more at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4476664.stm

Technically I think you'll find the animals are being eaten... why waste the fur?

Yes I think it would be better if they humainly killed the animals beforehand. Yes they can be more kindly treated during the process. The sad fact is, there are many people and a shortage of jobs, esp well paying jobs. People who do this, for the most part are probably doing it to feed their family, chances are it is on a commission base, the more kitties you provide the more cash you get. If you fail to provide a certian number, now money for you. a lot of chinese business is done on commission like this, hence the lack of caring about the wealfare of the animals etc.

If they were being slaughtered just for fur, it IS a waste of life. If they are being used for food as well (people can and do eat cat and dog in Guang Zhou) then it is also keeping many people from starving becuase of lack of nutritional food. This is better than just killing it for it's skin as every part gets used.

They do have a point too, if people didn't buy there wouldn't be a demand.

Chinese people have a very different culture and up bringing to us in the west. so some of the things such as this which we (yes I do too think it is cruel) to them it's a normal occurance. They look at some of the things we do with the same distaste.

I am curious if they gave the location of this place as I know most nook and crannies in guangzhou but I have never seen this. Most probably it would be on the outskirts of the city.

If it came down to you, your wife and your children staving to death, or you having to pack kitties for food fur. Which would you choose?

ON the other hand Some people do have a sick enjoyment out of killing animals. This also occurs in the west as well. Teens will kill cats for the fun of it, sometimes even tormenting them before hand. China has a huge population so the % of wacko's, murderers, sicko's etc.. is gonna be higher than other countries.

anyway just thought I'd put up the opposite side of the story.

Wing Nut

Back