McCain: Voters Must Accept Iraq Stance

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
USA Today
February 26, 2008
Pg. 8

John McCain said Monday that for him to win the White House, voters have to approve of his support for the war in Iraq. If they don't, "then I lose," he said.
McCain, who is close to sewing up the Republican nomination for president, then said his statement may have been too harsh.
"Let me not put it that stark," he told reporters on his campaign bus in Ohio. "Let me just put it this way: Americans will judge my candidacy first and foremost on how they believe I can lead the county both from our economy and for national security. Obviously, Iraq will play a role in their judgment of my ability to handle national security."
McCain has consistently backed the war although he's long criticized the way it was waged after Saddam Hussein's fall. He supported President Bush's troop-increase strategy, having called for more forces on the ground for several years. "I'd like to retract 'I'll lose,' " McCain said, "but I don't think there's any doubt that how (voters) judge Iraq will have a direct relation to their judgment of me, my support of the surge. Clearly, I am tied to it to a large degree."
McCain said now that the "surge" has resulted in a significant decrease in violence, the United States must ensure that al-Qaeda terrorists are defeated and that Iraqi factions work toward a safe and stable nation.

Back