McCain

He's not getting my vote.

The man served his country and is a hero -no argument there. But that was 35 years ago, what does this have to do with me (the voter) today? NOTHING. Serving your country as a soldier doesn't make you a good president. In fact historically, the soldier-presidents have been amongst the worst.

I look at what the man stands for TODAY, and I don't like what I see. His agenda on the economy, on Iraq, on world affairs is exactly the same as the Bush Administration.

On the economy, he proposes to make the Bush tax cuts (for the wealthy) permanent and has even talked about about further tax cuts, we already have a $9 Trillion Dollar Debt, 2 full wars raging, and a deepening recession is cutting taxes on the rich (not the middle class) really what you what to do??? This is exactly the same VOODOO economics George Bush Sr. warned us about in 1980 when he faced Reagan. Trickle-down economics as yet to been proven to work ONCE. It failed in the Reagan years, failed during the Bush years, and failed miserably during the Dubya years. All it is: a shift of the tax burden from the wealthy to the poor. And this from a man who even admits that he knows little about economics (OK, I salute is honesty on that).

On Iraq its even worse. Like Bush, he seems totally disconnected from reality. He still hasn't come to grips with:

1. The war was based on lies and wa a mistake
2. The only way out is a political solution, he still think a military solution is the answer. Even the DOD disagrees with him.
3. That war cannot be won by military means alone.
4. The differences between Sunni with Shiite and Iran with Iraq, illustrating his very poor understanding of the subject in General.

And worse he seems to have adopted the Karl Rove strategy of fear-politics by occassionaly invoking the GWOT, the GWOT is in Afghanistan and Pakistan, not Iraq. That too has been often repeated.
Iraq is about oil (even Bill O'Reilly admitted that one on David Letterman). In short, aside from immigration and environment he is an exact repetition of the Bush Administration.

I personally think 8 years of Neocon politics was more than enough, don't you all? In fact I dont think the country can survive much more of it with both the military and economy heading toward collapse.

He doesn't have the personality either. His own REPUBLICAN colleagues have said:

1. Difficult to work with, doesn't like to compromise, used to getting his own way.
2. Hot-headed.
3. Doesn't like disagreement, occasionally vindictive.

Again, that reminds me of Bush. The only parts he differs from Bush is that he has a heart, he is not a total idiot, and that he's competent. He is not a bad person, He is just wrong on just about every issue. And we really cannot afford anymore Neocon blunders.

At 73, He's too old and hes in bad health (heart trouble). My father is the same age and even he admits McCain is too old. Being President is a young mans job, as he needs to stay current with the times. Do we really want another case of Alzermers suffering Ronald Reagan in office, or worse not to survive his term in office (many Presidents have died on office, heart attacks are common, and McCain has already had severe heart issues). This job sucks about a decade off your life expectancy its simply not older people in bad physical condition.

McCain's place should be as Secretary of Defense. His speciality for the past 25 years has been the military. He has the experience, he'd be perfect, especially after the mess Rumsfeld and Cheney made.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
so who then mmarsh Obama? Clinton?

I am a New Yorker, and although I agree with much of her agenda I cannot stand Hillary. She's nasty, mean spirited, and dishonest. The fact she hasn't excepted the reality of the present situation (that its mathematically impossible for her to win) tells me this she is out to play spoiler as a way to punish Obama and the Democrats who dared not vote for her. The fact she is still in the race has helped the GOP more than the Dems.

And when you have someone like Robert Reich (Bill Clinton's Secretary of Agriculture) who yesterday switched from Clinton to Obama, saying exactly the samething ...boy that tell you something.

Except for Women, most Democrats hate the Clintons. All th the DNC huncho's have made that clear. Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, Dodd, Biden they are all support Obama.

There I to, am supporting (the more liberal) Obama.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, the Aliens vs. Predator tagline "Whoever wins, we lose" perfectly describes the '08 lineup. One one hand we have people who want to pull out of Iraq without even thinking about what will happen there if we do and ban handguns, and on the other hand we have a really old guy who wants to stay the course despite the failures of Bush's administration.

who doesnt say the pledge and who has Hamas supporting him. great.
So you're saying he's a terrorist? Yeah, the "with us or against us" stance. As for the flag pin and pledge thing, he doesn't have to wear one and you don't have to put your hand over your heart for the pledge. (Bush put his hand over his stomach once.) I think it's a refreshing change from the usual political hit-you-over-the-head-with-the-flag patriotism. He's stepping away from the usually sleazy political machine.

McCain seems a bit out of touch. He says Iraq is safe. He was surrounded by about 40 armed guards (I beleve I read that they were Blackwater, NOT our US Soldiers) and was wearing a flak jacket. Sounds real safe to me. :sarc:

A bit off topic but yeah, that's what Blackwater and co are there for. So the US military can focus on finding and destroying the enemy and manning checkpoints.

who doesnt say the pledge and who has Hamas supporting him. great.

First of all that Pledge issue has been complete twisted + exaggerated by the right, has he ever actually refused to say the pledge? No. Secondly who cares who Hamas supports? Does it matter if the Klan and Aryan Nation supports McCain? If that's your only criticism about him, its pretty insignificant. Its certainly not worth another 4 year extension of the status quo.

About the flag pins (another ridiculous debate), they have been popular in politics before, this pin is from the 1930 election. The slogan is "We wish to be Free and German".

6289.jpg

Which is why you will never see me wear one, I am systemically against anything the Nazi party did. Besides, you don't need a pin to prove your're patriotic.

Major Liabilty

Your mistaken, Obama does know what the consequence will be of a Iraq withdrawl -a bloody civil war. But that has already happened, it started when we removed the blocker (saddam) that prevented these two groups from attacking each other, and we are right in the middle of it. The answer is to let the Iraqis sort out their ethnic problems themselves. Yes we broke Iraq, but because we broke it doesn't mean we can fix it. We have been trying without much success to do just that for the past 5 years. We are simply kidding ourselves to think we can stop the Sunni and the Shiite from killing each other -they have been doing that for the past 800 years.

Last edited:
relevant question there. Anyone got the facts?

Del Boy+FullMetalJacket

Yes, they do.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/04/19/18493960.php

Leaders of the Ku Klux Klan and pro-Nazi groups state that they will support John McCain in the presidential election.
Several leaders of the Ku Klux Klan and pro-Nazi groups (some of whom are members of both groups) have stated that they will support John McCain in the presidential election. None of the leaders wanted their names disclosed, but they agreed to discuss which candidate they would support on the condition of anonymity.

At least three Ku Klux Klan leaders represented major chapters with headquarters in Alabama, Mississppi and South Carolina. Two of the Klan officials admitted that they were also significantly involved with pro-Nazi groups.

Klan and Nazi representatives said that their Chapters and members are in overwhelming support of John McCain. "Actually, it's a unanimous sentiment within our organization," said one of the pro-Nazi leaders. "McCain is the only candidate who represents our interests," he added.

While it is not clear yet whether Senator McCain would want the publicized support of either the Klan or the Nazi groups, the votes will undoubtedly help him, particularly in the South.

The revelation that Senator McCain has the blessing of the two groups comes on the heels of the McCain campaign's recent statement that Hamas would probably prefer Senator Obama. With the news of these event, one Obama supporter commented, "Well, I guess the difference is that Hamas can't vote, but McCain will sure get all those Nazi votes."

(I found the last sentence particularly true).

So I re-ask the question: Does the fact these these groups support McCain make McCain a Ku Klux Klan or Nazi supporter?

Last edited:
Thank you MM. I guess that will be because he is the Republican candidate, so that is hardly his fault, as you have pointed out.

At the same time, it is highly unfortunate for Obama if he has received publically declared support of Hamas, as he is an American Presidential candidate.

I guess he would have to postively and publically denounce and put distance between that and himself, would he not?

Sorry to intervene, just interested.

Last edited:
Back