T-84 2 16.67%
M1A2 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

--

September 30th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: MBT: 1on1!!! Match 7

Last match in the first round....

On the Right corner weighing in at 46 tonnes, the Ukrainian T-84!!!
Info:http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...raine/t-84.htm

On the left, the tank that needs no introduction, the iron fist of America, the Abrams M1A2
Info:http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/
September 30th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I got a couple questions. What is the advantage/disadvantage to smooth-bore vs rife bore main gun? All tanks equipped with the 125 main always make a point of emphasizing it and from what I know, rifled is better than smooth. What am I missing here?

The T84 looks solid enough. What's the comparative effective range of fire? Having trouble digging that info out of the articles information.

How is the new reactive armor so much better than older designs?

Thanks.
September 30th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Thje T-84 is more or less comperable with the T80UD. As far as I know it has a Smooth Bore main gun(Jane's). Now as to the advantage of Rifeling, that is arguable....It dose spin the projectile making it more accurate, but it also lowers the muzzle-valocity making the gun less accurate, so I think it balances out, prettey much....Note the T-84, like many Soviet/Eastern desighnes, can fire ATGMs from its main gun giving it a good advantage in range...The 125 and 120 probably have a similar range when fring standart projectiles, but the M1A2s fire control system allows it high accuracy at longer range.
--
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

The tried and true M-1A2 gets my pick.
There's more to tank quality than merely gun, speed and armor. Though those are the main attributes.
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Haven't voted yet, but the focus on greater versatility in the T-84 design is a big plus IMO. M1A2 has seen more real action and so its functionality and unforeseen design flaws are a known quantity and known to be few.
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

the shortage of unforseen problems is why I prefer the M1A2
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Solid point. If I knew the effective range of fire for both, I'd feel a lot more confident in voting though.
October 1st, 2004  
Animal Mother

Well, considering the latest version of the M1A2(SEP) got a 50x zoom FLIR fitted, i would say the M1A2 hold a pretty clear FCS advantage.

Add the fact that the US got perhaps the worlds most powerful APFSDS round fielded, i would say it is a pretty onsided match.
October 1st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

First site first kill wins my vote then. M1A2.
October 1st, 2004  
A Can of Man

The guy who sees first will win the fight.
Unless he's a complete idiot.

Even if you have a shorter ranged gun, you can beat them. You see them first, you think first, you plan first and the advantage is totally yours.