Which is better?

• T-84

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M1A2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a couple questions. What is the advantage/disadvantage to smooth-bore vs rife bore main gun? All tanks equipped with the 125 main always make a point of emphasizing it and from what I know, rifled is better than smooth. What am I missing here?

The T84 looks solid enough. What's the comparative effective range of fire? Having trouble digging that info out of the articles information.

How is the new reactive armor so much better than older designs?

Thanks.

Thje T-84 is more or less comperable with the T80UD. As far as I know it has a Smooth Bore main gun(Jane's). Now as to the advantage of Rifeling, that is arguable....It dose spin the projectile making it more accurate, but it also lowers the muzzle-valocity making the gun less accurate, so I think it balances out, prettey much....Note the T-84, like many Soviet/Eastern desighnes, can fire ATGMs from its main gun giving it a good advantage in range...The 125 and 120 probably have a similar range when fring standart projectiles, but the M1A2s fire control system allows it high accuracy at longer range.

The tried and true M-1A2 gets my pick.
There's more to tank quality than merely gun, speed and armor. Though those are the main attributes.

Haven't voted yet, but the focus on greater versatility in the T-84 design is a big plus IMO. M1A2 has seen more real action and so its functionality and unforeseen design flaws are a known quantity and known to be few.

Well, considering the latest version of the M1A2(SEP) got a 50x zoom FLIR fitted, i would say the M1A2 hold a pretty clear FCS advantage.

Add the fact that the US got perhaps the worlds most powerful APFSDS round fielded, i would say it is a pretty onsided match.

The guy who sees first will win the fight.
Unless he's a complete idiot.

Even if you have a shorter ranged gun, you can beat them. You see them first, you think first, you plan first and the advantage is totally yours.

The assumption for all of these is that we have crews that are equally skilled and terrain is favoring neither combatant. How else can you decide which tank is better?

That completely goes without saying.
A competent crew in an M-60 MBT can defeat a bunch of brainless baffoons sitting in an M-1A1. After shooting it about ten times or something like that lol

I gotta see something at least that funny before I die, but ... not holding my breath or nuthin. Holy crap that would be SO FUNNY. A M60 pounding away ineffectually as the guys in the M1 try to figure out why they can't get it out of reverse and repeatedly smash into a cliff face. And then the lucky hit comes just as the M1 crew gets their tank to go forward!

See how you can give a Tank a face lift and it's almost unrecognizable.
Reminds me of the points I made about the T-98

Well anyways the reason I said several hits is because there was an M-1A1 I think the Americans had to destroy because they couldn't get it out of the mud with any of their equipment and had to leave it behind.
It took multiple 120mm rounds to take out the tank. Eventually they got it out much later and then sent it back to the US where it was repaired and the same tank was rolling again.
I read that story from Armored Cav, by Tom Clancy. So it's a non fiction book. Fascinating stuff.

Hmmm...Maybe they couldent comletely destroy it, but a single shot to the right place from a 120 firing modern ammo would injure the crew and rander the tankl inoperable... This tpic is locked, winner is the M1A2...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back