• Leo 2A6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M1A2 Abrams

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHERMAN

Alright, you know the drill, start voting. The poll will last 2 days this time. Im not specifying sources, cause you already saw the sources many times... :D

My vote: Defenetly the Leo 2A6

They are both built of off the same original thank and i think the Leo took the right turn :D

Very close match but I like the Leo2 A6 as well. It came from the same basic tank design as the Abhrams but the Leo2 A6 has seen more evolution. With the proposed 1650hp engine it will have better mobility and has the new added mine protection as well. An almost faultless tank design IMO and the best tank in the world today.

IMO it goes:

1. Leo 2 A6
2. Abhrams M2A2
3. Challenger 2
4. Merkava Mk IV

I'd say the M-1A2 Abrams. The Leo 2 hasn't ever been tested in combat. The Abrams is PROVEN. So the Abrams gets my pick. The fact that they're so similar but one's been battle tested and passed with flying colors.

Abrams. Battle tested, Congress approved! Its got better mobility right now, I dont care what the Germans are proposing to upgrade, as of right now, the m1 has better mobility, sights, safety features, and experience. I dont even think the Leo has blow out panels does it? Not that its a bad tank, its a hell of a tank, just not up to m1's standards though. It does look pretty though!

BigBert96 said:
Abrams. Battle tested, Congress approved! Its got better mobility right now, I dont care what the Germans are proposing to upgrade, as of right now, the m1 has better mobility, sights, safety features, and experience. I dont even think the Leo has blow out panels does it? Not that its a bad tank, its a h**l of a tank, just not up to m1's standards though. It does look pretty though!

Well has it got better mobility right now? They are probably pretty even on that score right now.

I don't think there's a wrong answer here - they are both top class tanks.

The Leo has blowout panels, but half of it's ammo is stored in the hull, next to the driver. The Leo doesn't have the x50 FLIR of the Abrams and the L55 firing DM53 still doesn't penetrate as much as the M289A3. The M1A2SEP is a *slightly* better tank.

the_13th_redneck said:
Next to the driver? Isn't that the most vulnerable spot fron the front side of the tank???
Jeez...

I wouldn't call it vulnerable, it has about 600mm KE and 1200mm HEAT, more then the Abrams glacis. The rounds are pretty well protected against heat and flame. I don't think it would pop the top of the Leo, but an ammo cookoff would definitely knock the tank out. While an ammo cookoff in the Abrams allows for retreat, easy recovery. There have even been a couple instances of crews fighting after their ammo explodes.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Next to the driver? Isn't that the most vulnerable spot fron the front side of the tank???
Jeez...

I wouldn't call it vulnerable, it has about 600mm KE and 1200mm HEAT, more then the Abrams glacis. The rounds are pretty well protected against heat and flame. I don't think it would pop the top of the Leo, but an ammo cookoff would definitely knock the tank out. While an ammo cookoff in the Abrams allows for retreat, easy recovery. There have even been a couple instances of crews fighting after their ammo explodes.

Both tanks have this. I think most tanks (atleast modern) has this feature. The leo also has two compartments for ammo making it able to fight with one nocked out. One ammo storage is located behind the loader and one in some other place which i dont know.

Storage is in a crew safe "box", directing the blast upwords to protect the crew and tank.

This makes the third contest in a row that the Abrams went head to head with a tank that could arguably be better than it. I think the consensus is pretty clear on one thing: Challenger, Merkava, M1a2, and Leopard2a6 are probably the best 4 tanks in the world. Deciding what order they rate in is tricky. Personally, I think the Leopard is slightly superior to the M1 in everything but ammo ... a very big matter indeed.

AlexKall said:
Kozzy Mozzy said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Jeez...

Both tanks have this. I think most tanks (atleast modern) has this feature. The leo also has two compartments for ammo making it able to fight with one nocked out. One ammo storage is located behind the loader and one in some other place which i dont know.

Storage is in a crew safe "box", directing the blast upwords to protect the crew and tank.

Half the Leo's ammo is in the turret bustle, behind the loader for quick loading. If this cooks off the Leo is safe and good, the other compartment is next to the driver. If this cooks off the Leo would be knocked out, so the crew survivability of the Leo is lower on that aspect. The Abrams has all it's ammo in the turret bustle, making it safer.

godofthunder9010 said:
This makes the third contest in a row that the Abrams went head to head with a tank that could arguably be better than it. I think the consensus is pretty clear on one thing: Challenger, Merkava, M1a2, and Leopard2a6 are probably the best 4 tanks in the world. Deciding what order they rate in is tricky. Personally, I think the Leopard is slightly superior to the M1 in everything but ammo ... a very big matter indeed.

The M1A2SEP also has superior optics to the Leopard 2A6. The x50 FLIR sight allows for target ID to greater ranges then the optics on the Leopard 2A6. The M1A2SEP has slightly more firepower then the Leopard.

The Leopard 2A6's frontal armor has an incredibly high CE protection 1800mm+, more then the Abrams. It probably has thicker flank and rear armor too.

So first site first kill goes to the Abrams - and that's everything these days. I would have thought the Germans would have kept up on optics and sighting tech.

Either way....

By your votes, the best tanks in the world are

1-M1A2 Abrams
2-Leopard 2A6
3-Merkava Mk4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back