Mayor Stops Marine War Game In City

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Chicago Tribune
February 11, 2008 By Tribune news services
TOLEDO, Ohio - Mayor Carty Finkbeiner said Sunday that he stands by his decision to stop a Michigan-based Marine battalion from holding an urban warfare training session downtown.
About 200 reservists, whose unit is based in Grand Rapids, had prepared to conduct the exercise at a vacant building Friday when city officials put a stop to it.
Finkbeiner said that more than 10,000 people would have been leaving their downtown offices as Friday's exercise unfolded.
"The mayor asked them to leave because they frighten people," Finkbeiner spokesman Brian Schwartz said.

Pussies.
Why don't we just pull all the cops out of the cities because I'm sure some people are pretty scared of them.

Eh, a national guard unit doing urban operations shoulda been allowed. Its not like they have live ammunition. From the way I understand it they work Like regular military in the fact the most units dont keep ammunition on hand and they dont either so it isnt like there would be some freak shooting rampage.

Hell call in the local cops too it might have been a good joint deal where the cops could learn alittle bit and vice versa since swat team dynamics of close quarters battle are alittle different than the standard military procedures.

if its a simple indoor urban combat training simulation I dont understand the problems. I can understand if its a street to street training session but in house clearing isnt somthing that would bother locals. Hell Id wait and do it in the middle of the night if I was planning it. That way everyones not working and I like working in darkness anyway:sniper:

I agree with Mayor, war games and civilians don't mix. Now Chicago is a large town and I would thought that this could have been done on a miliatry base which would only affected the miliatry and their families.

I've seen this sort of training happen where I lived. Early one evening, I heard the distinct (to me) sound of Blackhawks coming up the river. Later in the week there was a headline in the paper about the training mission. They used the abandoned textile mills in the city for their MOUT training. Most people I heard from found it interesting, not frightening.

I agree with Mayor, war games and civilians don't mix. Now Chicago is a large town and I would thought that this could have been done on a miliatry base which would only affected the miliatry and their families.

Yeah I agree with that. I work in IT and I know that the Army is experimenting alot with VR Battle scenarios. Also doesn't the Special Forces (SEALS) have a Urban training area? I vaguely remember seeing a documentary on it.

Withe a $225 Billion budget couldnt they build a training area? In HOLLYWOOD they have a stage which is an exact replica of several NYC blocks. Its where they shoot all the cop shows.

I agree with the mayor, motorists driving by could be quite alarmed by seeing a bunch of men in uniform "running through the streets" and someone could get seriously injured if a driver freaked out thinking, in a post Red Dawn world, that the Russians are invading or something crazy like that. Military training should happen on military bases, not Main Street, USA.

That's great when it is done in abandoned buildings well away from the public. If the public wish to line the hills and watch fine, but to put troops amongst a busy City area and expect them to train and the people carry on working and leading their lives then it will cause problems

I remember back in 1982 I was sitting on th beach in Ocean view watching heavy fog roll through, little did I know the SEALS at Little Creek Amphib Base were conducting a mock landing supposed to be on their base, HOWEVER, due to the heavy fog they got off course and made their landing in Ocean View's largest beach in the middle of Spring Break:)
The local cops were so scared they must have either spilled their coffee or peed them selves, and every other person on that beach ran like hell when they say lacv's and landing rubber rafts coming up the beach LOL

After that all I can say to urban warfare training is GO FOR IT, come to the middle of town where all the people are, that way maybe our troops can be totally trained in the difference between the good guys and the bad guys faster than they are trained now :)

Besides, maybe this old seadog can play too :)

I agree with the mayor, motorists driving by could be quite alarmed by seeing a bunch of men in uniform "running through the streets" and someone could get seriously injured if a driver freaked out thinking, in a post Red Dawn world, that the Russians are invading or something crazy like that. Military training should happen on military bases, not Main Street, USA.

Well said!

Back