Mauresmo fights back to win

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/tennis/printer_1196279.php
By DPA
Aug 30, 2006, 19:00 GMT

New York - Amelie Mauresmo came back from an overnight rain interruption, immediately breaking German Kristina Barrois to recover in the second set on the way into the second round of the US Open 6- 1, 7-5.
The French world number 1 owns Grand Slam titles from Australia and Wimbledon this season.
Mauresmo won the first set played Tuesday with ease but was trailing the number 131 as the pair returned to court Wednesday,
The top seed got straight to work with a break to power through after playing just two matches on hardcourt last week since her Wimbledon final over Justine Henin-Hardenne.
'I was only a break down and I had to try and break the minute we came back,' said Mauresmo, 27-7 overall at the tournament. 'I need to play some more matches, hopefully more here this week.'
Mauresmo suffered over the summer with injuries from a shoulder and adductor muscle. 'It's tough to stay healthy, I've struggled all summer.
'But it's great to be back on court. I'm feeling good physically, but there are still things to work on in my game.'
Mauresmo earned victory in just under 90 minutes, breaking her opponent four times and matching Barrois on 21 winners.

Back