Maupins Learn New Details

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Cincinnati Enquirer
April 18, 2008 By Malia Rulon
WASHINGTON – Two of the Iraqis identified as being responsible for kidnapping and killing Staff Sgt. Matt Maupin four years ago have been sentenced to death – though not for Maupin’s death, Army officials told the soldier’s parents Thursday.
Keith Maupin, father of the Union Township soldier whose remains were found in Iraq last month, said the Army has a list of six to eight Iraqis who are thought to have been involved in his son’s kidnapping.
“They’re looking for them and they said, ‘We will find them and we will bring them to justice,’” Keith Maupin said Army officials told him and his wife, Carolyn, at an extended briefing at the Pentagon in Arlington, Va.
Army spokesman Major Nathan Banks confirmed that the Maupins met with Army officials at the Pentagon on Thursday but declined to provide any details about what was discussed.
The two Iraqis in custody were convicted of terrorist acts – not his son’s murder – and sentenced to death, but are appealing the verdict, Keith Maupin said.
If the conviction is overturned, the two would be tried for his son’s death in addition to other charges, Keith Maupin said.
“They will never get out. I am certain of that,” Keith Maupin said. “If it had been my call, we would not have even had this trial.”
He was not sure if the Iraqis involved were insurgents or part of a criminal gang.
“They’re terrorists, bottom line. ... You show me in any religion where it’s OK to kill an innocent person,” he said. “That makes them murderers in my book.”
Other highlights from the meeting:
*Keith Maupin said he believes the troop surge initiated last year by President Bush helped the Army find his son’s remains, thanks to a tip from Iraqi tribal leaders.
“What happened was they were able to go in and clear an area, and those 30,000 troops could hold it. That gave us time and allowed them to become friendly with the Iraqi people,” he said.
*He said the Army has approved a $200,000 reward for the tip about where his son’s remains were buried. The Army did not comment on the reward.
*Keith Maupin said that Pentagon officials told them Thursday that they would have to get a final report from the Armed Forces Medical Examiner on exactly how and when their son died.
“I was given the impression that they believe it was very early on,” Maupin said. He said Pentagon officials told them that the June 2004 video released on an Arab television station showing a person in a U.S. military uniform being shot to death “might well have been Matt, but we don’t know for sure.”
The Army Medical Examiner’s Office in Maryland has had Sgt. Maupin’s remains for more than two weeks. They have been doing forensic tests to determine when and how he was killed Keith Maupin said they have been told that “because of all the time that’s gone by and the harsh conditions over there, there wasn’t a lot of Matt left for them to examine.” The Maupins will get the report when it’s finished.
Keith Maupin said Thursday’s briefing lasted about three hours, during which they were given a written report and verbal briefing about the Army’s work in finding their son. They were not permitted to take the written report with them, he said.
While at the Pentagon, they also met with Gen. George W. Casey Jr., chief of staff of the Army, and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Asked if the Army answered all of their questions, Keith Maupin said he had just one question.
“I wanted to ask these guys in custody ... I just wanted to know why they killed him. They didn’t have to do that,” he said. “They didn’t gain anything.”
Army officials told him the question would be asked of the two Iraqis in custody, he said.
The Maupins planned to return to Cincinnati on Friday.
Howard Wilkinson contributed.

Back