math + artillery

mostly georometry and algebra, both used to calculate arc of fire and range of fire and probbility of hitting a target

i know there is a formula for target ranging, pretty simple too, just google it and u can be a range finder

Fire Direction Control (FDC) uses alot of math to calulate range, elevation, deflection and stuff like that. I'm not really up on that .
Forward Observers (FO) use addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in calling fire.

As an FO I never relly had a use for algebra. Map reading and the forumlas for figuring range and adjustments were all i used.

FDC is mostly trig, some geometry, algebra and alot of general division, multiplication etc. After awhile you can do a good portion of the simpler missions like adjust fire almost in your head with the use of an RDP (Range Deflection Protractor) and "sticks" or specialized slide rule. I knew more than one FDC Chief who could out perform the computer on the "hip shoot" that way. Sadly, manual computation is not emphasized anymore and computers do the computations. You still have to be able to understand the math principals of course in order to be sure of the correct figures which are obviously done by more than one person. If there's a discrepancy between the computers, the FDC Chief will take the most reliable computer if time is of the essence (providing it's safe of course) or find the discrepancy if time allows. There are also books of math figures called TFTs (Tabular Firing Table) made up for each type of cannon.

I knew the guys in Fresh Donuts and Coffee used alot more math than us.

Most of mine was used for converting directions from declanation diagram. And rangeing.

:shock: I never call them Gun Bunnies to their faces. Those guys hump projo's all day long. Wasn't conducive to my health :lol:

Must be considered differently in other units. In my unit it was a joke name and not meant unkindly. They called FDC "Food and Drink Company" because they sat down and had tables to put their chow on. Both groups considered it good natured ribbing and nothing more. We also would often rotate people from FDC and the guns to each others work site so both could get an idea what the other's world was like. I got my best idea of life on the guns the summer we had the "O" (pro. "oh") gun. We were very short personnel that year and we had only four guns in use. Even so the fourth gun (the "O" gun) was often crewed by the Battery Commander, XO, FDO, 1st SGT, Gunnery SGT, and Chief of Smoke. I was the FDO then and truly got an idea how hard a job the guns have. We shot very well, but the praise goes to the SNCOs more than the officers - especially our 1st SGT. Of course when I moved on to XO I saw it all around.

Back