Match, bullet, and razorblade.....

John Lydon

I did a search and didn't find this anywhere, so forgive me if it's already been covered.

I was recently talking to an old timer at work about different traditions and he told me about the tradition of placing a match, razorblade, and bullet in the ball at the top of the flagpole on all military installations. He said this was supposed to be in case the installation was ever overtaken by a hostile force. You were supposed to use the razorblade to cut the flag into strips, use the match to burn the flag, and use the bullet to shoot yourself. There was also something about a psitol being buried so many feet from the pole but I can't remember that part.

Yeah it's Military urban myth. The Truck at the top of the staff is supposed to contain those and supposedly a .45 is buried at the base. Myth all of it.

I always wondered how on earth you were supposed to shimmy to the top of the pole, complete the destruction of the flag, dig up a pistol, load it, and shoot yourself before the enemy caught you. That would be one heck of an accomplishment.

Back