Martin Sweeps Superspeedways

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.racingone.com/print.asp?artnum=31511

TALLADEGA, Ala. - Mark Martin completed a sweep of superspeedway races in 2006 by winning today's inaugural NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series John Deere 250 at Talladega Superspeedway, for his fifth victory of the season. His previous superspeedway win came in the season opening GM Flex Fuel 250 at Daytona International Speedway.

Martin, who started from the pole, led early in the race before he was forced to pit under green because trash was stuck to grill of the No. 6 Ford causing it to overheat. After catching the "lucky dog" pass, Martin made his way back to the front with the help of Mike Wallace in Billy Ballew’s No. 15 Chevrolet.

"Mike and I worked together quite a bit," Martin said. "There at the end when we were right up there with all the Toyotas it was not looking good. Mike gave me the push that I really needed there on the restart."

On the final lap Martin found himself out front as a hard crash between Wallace and Derrike Cope took place behind him. The race ended under caution giving Martin his sixth career win.

"I know Mike Wallace and he still had plans of winning the race," Martin said. "We came off of Turn 2 and everything got pretty crazy behind me. The race was not over yet. There was a lot of racing going from the center backstretch over to the start finish line and unfortunately there was a wreck."

Mike Skinner finished second, but not before taking the blame for the last lap crash that ended with Wallace and Cope finishing 26th and 27th, respectively.

"I want everybody to understand that Billy Ballew is a friend of mine and Mike Wallace is a friend of mine and he's one of the best drafters out here. And I feel that was my fault. It was absolutely not intentional," Skinner said.

Ted Musgrave finished third, and his teammate Todd Bodine was able to rally back from a late stop-and-go penalty for passing below the yellow line to finish fourth.

"From where I was it was a clean pass," Bodine said. "That's the problem with having a rule that's an interpretation of a rule. When I got alongside Mark (Martin) I was above the yellow line. He turned and pulled me below the yellow line. The interpretation is if you start the pass below the yellow line. I didn't start the pass below the yellow line."

Open Wheel star A.J. Allmendinger rounded out the top five in just his second career start.

David Ruetimann, David Ragan, Chad Chaffin, Ron Hornaday and Dennis Setzer completed the top-10 finishers.

The inaugural race saw an average speed of 138.207 mph and 12 lead changes among nine drivers.

Bodine now leads Johnny Benson by 121 points in the championship standings as the series heads to Martinsville Speedway on October 21 for the Kroger 200.

Back