Martial arts

Prapor

I am an enthusiast myself, for me it is both a hobby and also a way to protect myself.

So, to all here, do you practice any, have studied any?

For me, I've done combat sambo back in the military; and then I also tried Wing Chun. It is a Chinese martial art, a sub-style of Kung Fu, is very popular in Russia, we have 8 large schools in Moscow, Petersburg, Yaroslavl, Chelyabinsk, Irkutsk and Novosibirsk.

It is my favorite system, so far. Involves a lot of work with hands (which is why also known, here at least, as 'Chinese boxing').

It's main premise is striking the center of the body.
1.jpg

That is what makes it effective: you strike at most vulnerable, and sensitive areas, like face, throat, solar plexus, groin.

No, I cannot do this quite yet lol [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGH4LHslhg"]YouTube - Вин Чун Кунг Фу. Движени� не у�корены!!![/ame]
That's Spartak Petrosian, he is a Master. Has his own school.

I also did some Izvor, which is a indegenous Russian combat art that is, actually, quite similar to Wing Chun and to Kung Fu in general.

It is a street-fighting system developed by Dukhobors in the North to defend themselves against Orthodox Christian traditionalist extremists who constantly attacked and harrassed them (this was way back, when the Tsars were still in power): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfBMJwCbEHg"]YouTube - ИЗВОÐ* руÑ�Ñ�кий рукопашный бой[/ame]

Used today by Specnaz units, including with Systema Kadochnikova (which is itself partially based on it).

Basically, I like these two as they are practical, not just for sport, for fun, at the gym, but to defend self on the street. Both are good for fighting people who are bigger than you, or against multiple opponents.

Last edited:
I always wanted to learn Wing Chun but never had the opportunity.
I did Tae Kwon Do, Krav Maga and a smattering of many other martial arts.

I always wanted to learn Wing Chun but never had the opportunity.
I did Tae Kwon Do, Krav Maga and a smattering of many other martial arts.

Wing Chun is awesome. Was one of Bruce Lee's favorite styles, you know :)

I like Muai Thai too, that is the best one for kicking, better than regular kickboxing.

I practiced Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido and a bit of Krav Maga, I really want to continue Krav Maga but the closest school is 60 km from where I currently live.

I hope to start practicing martial arts with my future mates when I am joining the navy in app. one month!

Martial Arts

All these names and I'm sure theirs merit to all these styles. I practiced basic Hung Gar for 10 years, if the school is good and sticks to basics using physical contact training "so you are not afraid to get hit or hit an opponent" it will but out good martial artist in ~ 5 years minimum of solid training, regardless of style. If it's padded down to appeal to the public it won't regardless of what's it called and how fancy the moves look. My favorite was when they would try the spinning roundhouse. It is so easy to grab the leg and perform a takedown on all but the very best. When I went to these tournaments the judges look for flash not solid power, same is often true for sparring. Not trying to insult folks just telling you what I've seen in many years of training.

I have a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and have been studying Aikido for years. When the old man used to kick my ass, I picked it up from a friend. Have been practicing ever since.

And JOC: completely agree. Fancy usually equals horse manure. Take your basic C4 pack. Moldable, versatile, simple, and useful.

Martial Arts

I have a black belt in Tae Kwan Do and have been studying Aikido for years. When the old man used to kick my ass, I picked it up from a friend. Have been practicing ever since.

And JOC: completely agree. Fancy usually equals horse manure. Take your basic C4 pack. Moldable, versatile, simple, and useful.

I like that C4! I do a little bit. My knees are shot (cartilage issues, arthritis in knees) Sounds like you got the best of both good shape drill sergeant and good martial artist. I used to do sparring got a bit rough, that's how you learn.

I'm familiar with Tae Kwan Do, not Aikido however. Hung Gar is a bit like boxing with a lot of low kicks and sweeps

I like that C4! I do a little bit. My knees are shot (cartilage issues, arthritis in knees) Sounds like you got the best of both good shape drill sergeant and good martial artist. I used to do sparring got a bit rough, that's how you learn.

I'm familiar with Tae Kwan Do, not Aikido however. Hung Gar is a bit like boxing with a lot of low kicks and sweeps

Well, I grew up with my dad beating the sh** out of me and my bro every day of our lives. I got tired of him hitting my bro, so I learned.

Dad

My Dad gave us the belt. He typically didn't want to any hear chit chat “about my side of the story" either. Different generation. It seemed common in those days. The important thing is to try and not bring residual anger issues into our families which can be trying.

Last edited:
My Dad gave us the belt. He typically didn't want to any hear chit chat “about my side of the story" either. Different generation. It seemed common in those days. The important thing is to try and not bring residual anger issues into our families which can be trying.

Well, if the belt was the worst that my dad had done, I would have been grateful. See your PM.

Back