Marriage at a Young Age

CanadianCowgirl

I was just wondering what everyone thought of people getting married when they're 18-25 or so.

Some people think that it's best to wait until your 30s because you change a lot in your 20s.....

What do all you guys (and gals) think....??

I think age doesn't matter, but what matters is the commitment and responsibilities. Maybe an older couple might realize this more and therefore it is better to be married at an older age? I don't know.
If the younger couple understand the commitments and the responsibilities that will come, and are ready, then they might be eligible to get married.

But to me I think after university in a few years would be good, 25-28? something like that :smil: after all, this is just my opinion

I think I would have to agree with whomever told you you should wait untill you are at least in you upper twenties. I got married at 19 and it was the dumbest thing I have ever done. I would definately have to advise against it. However, if that is what you want to do then do it but you will see in a very short period of time (within a year) that you have made a mistake (especially if he is young as well) men have to have their fun during that period of their lives as i am sure women do as well (i'm not a woman so I don't know) don't take my advice though I am 27 and divorced once already.

Oh I don't know about that. I was 20 and she 18, we're going on 37 years now. I sure hope it'll last :love:

I think it depends on the person. Some young people are more mature than people in their 30s and vice versa. I think most should definitely wait till after their 21. But like I said it depends on the person.

Have ever y'all seen "Engaged & Underage" on MTV? Lot of crazy stuff going on there...

I agree with CLC. ^^ It depends on the person.

Oh I don't know about that. I was 20 and she 18, we're going on 37 years now. I sure hope it'll last :love:

Different generation DTop.... In my humble opinion, getting married before 30 should be put off. Let each other get established in their specific careers before getting hitched. There is no reason to get married so early. Enjoy life, enjoy your freedom. trust me....

Different generation DTop.... In my humble opinion, getting married before 30 should be put off. Let each other get established in their specific careers before getting hitched. There is no reason to get married so early. Enjoy life, enjoy your freedom. trust me....
:-D I hear that all the time, even when I got married. It's not generational, it's situational. The reason we got married when we did was because I was on my way to Vietnam and really had no idea if I was coming back. I didn't have the luxury of waiting (in my mind) so we did what we felt was best for us. And no, there were not a lot of people getting married that young back then either (outside of the military). Remember those stories of free love and hippie communes you might have read about in you ancient history books? Yeah, that the time frame we got married in. My point is, age is no guarantee of failure or success.
BTW, careers can be established and blossom with the abundant mutual support, respect, and love that a married couple can provide for each other, in my humble opinion.
The bottom line from me is that marriage should not be taken lightly at any age. It should be considered what it is and that is a life long commitment to another person and all that entails, the good, the bad, and yes sometimes even the ugly. After all these years, I wouldn't change a thing.

Team Infidel

It also depends on the country, in Europe people get married much younger than they do in the States. 22-23 years old is fairly common. I'm single and almost 35, at that age I have people trying to convice me to enter the priesthood.

i understand that, and every situation is different. you are correct DTop.. but one of the hardest things is marriage and the military. It takes a very....... VERY strong woman to handle moves, new schools, deployments... etc and getting married young is tough in those situations.

My vote is enjoy life... marriage will always be there for you if the person is the right one. Don't rush into something you question already.

And for some... marriage may not even be in the cards. A lot of opinions today would say, only get married if you are planning on having children. Not sure I agree with that, but today's generation is more ME than US.

Not sure I agree with that, but today's generation is more ME than US.

I agree, and that is sad. A marriage isn't about "me," and many people don't even realize that. They think it's cute to have a ring on their finger and dress up for a day.

I think with growing as a society and all of the wonderful things that have happened in the last 100 years or so we have sacrificed many things. I believe young marriages used to be able to hold on - in the past more so than this day and age. Now days it is to easy for many people to just get a divorce. (Divorce has it's own time and purpose, but now it's just becoming another fashion statement). I think many young marriages are not aware of what they are getting into and are not mature enough to see their vows through. I do believe there are special people who are able to see marriage as a sacred trust between themselves and God and they will weather it - and this goes for young and old marriages both.

So I agree with a few other posters, it depends on the people entering the relationship.

I agree with everyone who said after you get set in your particular career. Marriage should come after you are secure in what you do, and are ready in every way for it.

I guess my Wife and I really messed up. We were 18 and that was almost 45 years ago. But, I wouldn't advise anyone to do the same just because it worked out for us. I really do believe it is a generational thing, at least in America, so I'll go along with TI on this one.

I feel like I've done life backwards, lol. My bf and I are all settled down, but now I'm wanting to pursue a career which means me leaving, and having to sell my horse, give away our dogs and cats, etc etc etc.....it makes me really sad and makes me think that maybe pursuing a career is selfish.....?

CC ive learned in the last years you cant worry about everyone else...if you try pleasing everyone youll just end up frustrated...so follow your dreams and if your bf is worth your time he'll understand and wait if you decide to do this. and i understand about selling your animals...ive got 2 horses and a lil dog that was a stray (bc ppl cant seem to stop dropping off animals past my house) and it would kill me to have to give them up for any reason...oh and i might be getting another horse....hope this helped

Back