Marinie Corps Infantry over 1371 Combat Engineer

Percival

When I spoke to my recruiters SNCOIC months ago about what MOS I wanted I chose 1371 Combat Engineer, Crew Cheif on a heli, then Infantry.

I'v already made plans to go College after I leave (if I leave), and get a degree in Engineering. I'm not sure as to what field but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

The reason why I didn't choose Infantry first was well... I didn't want to scare my dad, but now that I think about I would love to do it.

I spoke with my recruiter a few days ago, and he said that my college bonus (I forgot the exaxt amount but it's a hefty sum) would be lost because it's tied in with my MOS.

Should I go infantry and lose the bonus, or should I stay with Combat Engineer.
Thank you and have a good day

On a purely monetary viewpoint, I'd say stick with the combat engineering. I'm in a combat engineering unit (Army) that got back from Iraq earlier this year, and they, and I say they since I got transferred in the middle of their deployment, found themselves performing infantry roles such as patrols, room clearing, etc., along with their engineering mission. There's a reason the word combat is in there.

Point in case is that I would do what I thought was most useful later if I were to go for an engineering degree (matter of fact I am right now), and although the military discipline helps A LOT when it comes to college, having an engineering background makes it loads easier, plus, in your case, you would have a hefty bonus to help with tuition (not to mention it feels awesome to take Uncle Sam's money for some reason). Also, your options are open to pursue perhaps a career as a Marine officer. I have a few friends who are prior service USMC in an engineering degree program and in Naval ROTC (Marine option) and they love it. I highly recommend that path, and you get a lot of respect if you are experienced beforehand.

Hope this helps, keep in mind this if from an Army viewpoint, so I reckon the USMC members of the board can clarify if need be. Good luck!

If he is talking about the GI bill, then no, it isn't tied in with your bonus. I haven't heard of any MOS specific college bonuses, ever. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I just asked about 10 Marines and none of them have heard of it either. Might want to research that one. There might be a bonus just for that MOS, though.

Combat engineering and infantry are pretty different worlds, though CEs sometimes get to play with the infantry. Just decide if you want to be an engineer (build and occasionally blow things up) or be infantry (kill, break and blow things up).

Everybody is pretty much doing an MP job in Iraq, not an infantry job, so engineers, combat engineers, they're all playing on first string as far as patrols, etc.

Choose which one interests you the most. You only get to do it once, so make the right decision for you.

It's a "kicker" bonus to the GI Bill. I forgot the specifics of how much/what exactly it was, but I belive it to be upwards of about 40-50K.

I'm going to stay with Combat Engineer. It'll help me in my future, but damn I wouldn't mind being with the Infantry. But I also have to look forward to life later on. Choices...:???:

But thank you for all of your help, it did convince me to stay. But for now I should concern myself with my MOS, I need to concern myself with Boot Camp... btw I need to go on a 3 miles run...

Make it four! If you can do four, you can do three easy, and makin' it easier is what it's all about.

Good luck to you. When are you shipping?

Ha ha I ended up doing four miles, in the rain and mud... I also knocked out a lot of push up in the mud and pull ups on a slippery bar... Ahh feels good!

I leave Augest 21st for Boot Camp. I can't wait but until then I P.T. just about everyday.

Thanks for the motivation

Percival said:
Ha ha I ended up doing four miles, in the rain and mud... I also knocked out a lot of push up in the mud and pull ups on a slippery bar... Ahh feels good!

I leave Augest 21st for Boot Camp. I can't wait but until then I P.T. just about everyday.

Thanks for the motivation

Good job!

Don't run yourself every day too hard, alternate your days easy/hard/easy/hard. You do not want an injury before you leave, but you do want your body used to the harsh PT. Bootcamp will be so much easier if you only have to worry about the mental and not the physical.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track, have the right motivation and level of commitment.

Hoo-yah young Devil Pup, keep up the good work!

Keep us informed of your progress.

PJ24 said:
Good job!

Don't run yourself every day too hard, alternate your days easy/hard/easy/hard. You do not want an injury before you leave, but you do want your body used to the harsh PT. Bootcamp will be so much easier if you only have to worry about the mental and not the physical.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track, have the right motivation and level of commitment.

Hoo-yah young Devil Pup, keep up the good work!

Keep us informed of your progress.

X2, keep us informed.

Congo rats!

Percival, I see from your profile you grew up in AK. May I ask what part? I've lived here in Eagle River for about 12 years now.

I grew up in Anchorage, I went to Bartlett HS before I moved Aug, of last year. Damn, I miss the cold, the moutains, the people, and definetly the fishing.

Percival said:
Damn, I miss the cold, the moutains, the people, and definetly the fishing.

I hear ya, every time I leave here it feels like I left something behind.

EDIT: I hope young people on this board read this thread, as it is a prime example of another young person who has done his homework and grappled with this issue BEFORE asking us, and we call this situational awareness (SA), which is a very important skill to have in the military and life in general. In return, we offer respect and whatever guidence to help him, since he has shown us the repsect and SA of an astute potential service member. I know of some members of this board who could learn a lot from Percival.

Last edited:
Back