Marine's Father Sues Funeral Protesters

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
Associated Press | June 06, 2006
GREENBELT, Md. - The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by anti-gay protesters from a fundamentalist Kansas church filed an invasion-of-privacy suit against the demonstrators Monday.
It is believed to be the first lawsuit brought by a serviceman's family against Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., whose members routinely demonstrate at military funerals around the country.
Albert Snyder of York, Pa., the father of Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder, is seeking unspecified damages. The younger Snyder, 20, died March 3 after an accident in the Anbar province of Iraq. He was buried in Westminster, Md.
"We think it's a case we can win because anyone's funeral is private," Albert Snyder's lawyer Sean Summers said. "You don't have a right to interrupt someone's private funeral."
After filing the suit, Snyder said at a news conference that he hoped a hefty judgment would leave the church members unable to afford travel for more protests.
"I want it to stop," he said of the protests. "I didn't know there were people in the world who did that."
Members of Westboro say the military deaths in Iraq are God's punishment for America's tolerance of gays. They typically carry signs with slogans such as "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for IEDs," a reference to the roadside bombs used by insurgents.
The church has inspired dozens of state laws banning funeral protests, including a Maryland law that did not go into effect until after Snyder's memorial.
Shirley Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the small congregation, said it is the first time Westboro has been sued by a Soldier's family.
"We were exercising our First Amendment rights," she said.
Finally they are going after the nutcakes!
What do you think.

tomtom22 said:
What do you think.
Its a pity someone isnt going after them with some cable ties,a reel of duct tape and a can of petrol.
Scum like that dont even deserve a bullet let alone first amendment rights.

This is the setting I believe should be used to take out these pathetic loonies. Leave it in the judicial area rather than the legislative.

...and I damn sure think that the father should win his weight in gold. The First Amendment doesn't protect those who use slander and libel.

The fighting words doctrine would be employed by my defense lawyers at the trial were one of these :cen: to be at the funeral I was present at. I don't have the patience or self-control, nor do I wish to attain it, to keep from monkey stomping these self-righteous idiots. I really am truly amazed no one has killed one of these twits.

I watched the CBS news for Memorial Day here and I saw a Marine outside Arlington have a go at one of these groups and a few sheriff's deputies saved the protesters from a well-deserved Marine Corps ass kicking. It was obvious the LEO's were sympathetic to the Marine as they walked him away with their arms around his shoulders consoling him. My hat is off to that man, a few more runs like that and a few more less than observant LEOs and those protesters will begin to think twice about this crap. Violence is a deterrant.

Last edited:
Ya know what I wanna see...Someone having a funeral, protesters show up, and one of the men performing the twenty-one gun salute pulls a live round and fires it at the guy...Hahaha..That would be good.And yea, violence is a great deterrence. They should let a couple of soldiers loose on these folks. That'll show em.

Its a pity someone isnt going after them with some cable ties,a reel of duct tape and a can of petrol.
Scum like that dont even deserve a bullet let alone first amendment rights.
Ya know what I wanna see...Someone having a funeral, protesters show up, and one of the men performing the twenty-one gun salute pulls a live round and fires it at the guy...Hahaha..That would be good.And yea, violence is a great deterrence. They should let a couple of soldiers loose on these folks. That'll show em.

/signed
Originally Posted by tomtom22
What do you think.

I think they are pathetic, and deserve to be convicted of treason-which would be AWESOME, treason entails some serious penaltys, such as death or life w/o paroll in solitary, take moussaui for example, he got a similar punishment

Back