Marine Special Operations Command - Page 2

--

November 4th, 2005  
PrivatePyle

I'm English, so forgive my dumb questions.

Our Royal marines come under navy command, is this the same with us marine corp?

Would the usmc like operating under the same overall command structure as army units?
November 10th, 2005  
03USMC

The USMC is Dept. of the Navy. Marines assigned to USSOCOM would report to them SOCOM is a Joint Forces Command.
November 16th, 2005  
Grimmy

I'm probably alot less qualified to comment on this issue than others here but heck, when's a Marine ever been known to keep his yap shut when it's opinion time?

There's been some reports on this unit from the SEAL side and the reports were rather glowing. Seems there's lots of folks really truely impressed. Not just by the usual USMC tactical aggressivness but also the fact that this is a "complete package" and not just more trigger pullers.

This unit comes (according to what I've read) with its own logistics organization, intel support and air. I've even read that the SEAL observer was truely impressed by how the "logistics" folk could mount out and serve as good functional battlefield force when extra bodies were required.

So, in short, again according to what I've been able to find on this, it's the "total package" aspect (you know, that total force thing that the USMC is so dang good at) of this that's got SOCOM so excited.
--
January 8th, 2006  
FutureDevilDog

Topic: Marine Special Operations Command

Quote:
MarSOC: Just Call Them Marines

Fred L. Schultz

Proceedings, January 2006

The commanding general of the controversial new Marine Corps Special Operations Command--seen here in Iraq, greeting Marines of Gun 6, Battery M, 4th Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment last year—talks to Proceedings.

Not long after he was tapped to lead the first leatherneck contingent into the nation's Special Operations Command, Brigadier Geneal Dennis J. Hejlik was asked by Marine Commandant Michael Hagee if he had settled on a catchy nickname for his troops. General Hejlik nodded.

"Marines," he replied.

Later that day, General Hejlik (pronounced Hey-lik), in an exclusive interview with Proceedings, outlined his plans for the new unit, known as the Marine Corps Special Operations Command (MarSOC).

He also expressed support for the decision to finally make the Marines part of the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCom), a move long opposed by the Corps. From time to time, he revealed bits and pieces about himself. One thing was evident. He travels light. He showed up with a staff of none.

Over lunch at an Irish restaurant here in Annapolis, the 58-year-old career infantryman laughingly recalled how he found out about the new job. Transferred from California to Quantico, he and his wife, Sandy, were having dinner at a restaurant the night before they were to move into new quarters at the northern Virginia Marine base. His cell phone rang. He took it outside, returned an hour later.

"Where are we going now?" his wife asked. Her husband had been a Marine for 35 years. They had been married for all of those years. She knew something was up.

So long, Quantico. Hello, Camp Lejeune.

http://www.usni.org/proceedings/Arti...01Schultz.html

Mod Edit: When posting an article always supply the link. Also, do a search prior to starting new topics.
February 14th, 2006  
JMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmy
This unit comes (according to what I've read) with its own logistics organization, intel support and air. I've even read that the SEAL observer was truely impressed by how the "logistics" folk could mount out and serve as good functional battlefield force when extra bodies were required.

So, in short, again according to what I've been able to find on this, it's the "total package" aspect (you know, that total force thing that the USMC is so dang good at) of this that's got SOCOM so excited.
Yeah, i think MarSOC is going to still operate under the MAGTF structure (Marine Air-Ground Task Force) like other Marines, but is assign missions that catagorize it as a Spec Ops.

And well, i guess its true that "Every Marine is a Rifleman"
February 14th, 2006  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac
Yeah, i think MarSOC is going to still operate under the MAGTF structure (Marine Air-Ground Task Force) like other Marines, but is assign missions that catagorize it as a Spec Ops.

And well, i guess its true that "Every Marine is a Rifleman"
Incorrect. MARSOC belongs to SOCOM.
January 31st, 2009  
Nolimit2far

You are correct sir, we are under SOCOM for now. We were under II MEF previously but I have heard talk of MARSOC establishing its own command after we are moved to stone bay. What are your thoughts on that?