Marine Recruit seeking answers

migidarra

I am about to join the Marines on January 20, 2006. I already went to MEPS and took my tests. I won by the way. What is some good computer related MOS's out there. I don't have much time to talk to my recruiter about it. I am going into Avionics but I don't know if that is exactly what I want to do. I made a 98 on myASVAB :oops: sothere isn't much I am not qualified for test wise.
Thanks
Josh

On what I would like to do, I am not sure...I would just like little peices of information from people who possibly have been in those areas...anything from personal experience would be awsome

Also here is my current physical workout(started last week, and going to do it until january 20, 2006

Monday-35-40 run/jog(a little more than 3 miles...yes I am slow...)
2 sets of 40+ pushups
2 sets of 25 situps
2 sets of as many crunches as I can do
Tuesday-Karate(FUN FUN!!! and I just started and plan on working very hard at it)
Wednesday -35-40 run/jog(a little more than 3 miles...yes I am slow...)
2 sets of 40+ pushups
2 sets of 25 situps
Thursday -Karate
Friday -35-40 run/jog(a little more than 3 miles...yes I am slow...)
2 sets of 40+ pushups
2 sets of 25 situps
Saturday - rest
Sunday -2.5 mile walk/jog

My question about my workout is; what else should I work on?
Starting weight 184
Current weight 181
Goal Weight 155-160

Nice workout plan, my pre-bootcamp plan included taking a physical conditioning class my senior year of high school, and participating in Cross county and Track, even though I couldn't make the Varsity teams due to an achilles tendon injury my sophomore year.

Here is a good sit up/crunch work out (and some of you might reconize this workout from boot camp itself).

1. Do as many sit up/crunches you can do in two minutes.

2. Wait one minute then do as many sit up/crunches you can do in one minute.

3. Wait one minute then do as many sit up/crunches you can do in 30 secends.

If you want you can throw in as many push up (or pull ups) as you can do between the intervals.

In regards to computer related MOS, I really can't help as I was an 1833 AAV crewman, then later an MSG where while I did work with computers it was on the operations side (reports, classes etc).

Oh what is your current weight? One goal is to make sure you are within acceptable height weight standards before you go. I am sure your recruiter will have you do a few PFT tests.

Your well within regulation.

Just keep in mind that as you put on muscle and lose fat (if any) you will actully gain weight.

all good points to make. once i got on the island in Feb of 2005 i was wishin i had done more training to get where i was. One thing i strongly recomend is that you start running a mock pft now so that you will know how to pace yourself when you start on PI with ppl yelling at you and being very distracting. if you know your pace and are used to runnning a certain way you won't be guessing on the island.

what did you find was the best method to block out the DI's and concerntrate on the task at hand?

well i went to the island as a grown man so i could tell from dealing with BS'ers for a while in civilian life how to play the games that are played on the island. the best way to phase the DI's out is to never get noticed just do it the first time without thinking. when i was running the PFT they kinda backed off but were telling me that if i didn't make up for 30 seconds i was going to fail. turns out i ran the dang thing in 21 minutes so i wasn't even close to failing they were just trying to squeeze my best effort out of me.

the island teaches you quick how to deal with the DI's. it is easiest to watch and learn than trying to strike out on your own. jsut watch everyone else make theit mistakes and then don't repeat them just do the opposite and you're golden.
there was one guy in our platoon that did it so well that in the last three weeks of boot camp out SDI was giving out mail and came accross his name and looked at the platoon and said we don't blankin have a recruit *LASTNAME* ! when he heard the Here i am sir from the back our SDI flushed and said "damn son i don't know where you've been hidin but you did well" he was never on the 1/4 deck and he fit perfectly in the middle of the chow hall line so he just kept his head low didn't talk and stayed under the radar. lucky lucky lucky!

What types of food should I eat? I am not trying to gain weight, I just want to make sure I am getting the right kind of nutrients.
I generally eat something small for breakfast, pigout at lunch and small dinner....real small dinner
I am trying to get toned more than stronger also...I used to have a 6 pack when I was 11 and 12...but lost it due to loss of metabolism lol.

implicature said:
he was never on the 1/4 deck and he fit perfectly in the middle of the chow hall line so he just kept his head low didn't talk and stayed under the radar. lucky lucky lucky!

What he never volunteered himself to go to quarter deck? Or even bothered to take the place of a fellow recruit who was in a puddle of their own sweat?

Our DI’s used to play a game where you couldn’t leave the quarter deck unless you choose a fellow recruit to take your place; they did it so much we were like “Pick me! Pick me!” when ever someone was told to choose a replacement.

Another game was answering knowledge questions, if you got one right you left the quarterdeck, unless you were a smart recruit who always had 100%’s (like me) on the Prac tests then you had to answer three in a row.

Just relize that most of the stuff the DI's do to you is just a test of how much stress you can handle. It is all in the mind, and if you need some physical conditioning at boot camp you'll spend quite a bit of time on the quarter deck (as I did).

jedi078 said:
implicature said:
he was never on the 1/4 deck and he fit perfectly in the middle of the chow hall line so he just kept his head low didn't talk and stayed under the radar. lucky lucky lucky!

What he never volunteered himself to go to quarter deck? Or even bothered to take the place of a fellow recruit who was in a puddle of their own sweat?

Our DI’s used to play a game where you couldn’t leave the quarter deck unless you choose a fellow recruit to take your place; they did it so much we were like “Pick me! Pick me!” when ever someone was told to choose a replacement.

Another game was answering knowledge questions, if you got one right you left the quarterdeck, unless you were a smart recruit who always had 100%’s (like me) on the Prac tests then you had to answer three in a row.

Just relize that most of the stuff the DI's do to you is just a test of how much stress you can handle. It is all in the mind, and if you need some physical conditioning at boot camp you'll spend quite a bit of time on the quarter deck (as I did).

One of my DI's games was called "The Price is Right". It happened during weapons maintenance. He'd just go up and down the squad bay and pick people at random to go to the 1/4 deck.

Veubent said:
One of my DI's games was called "The Price is Right". It happened during weapons maintenance. He'd just go up and down the squad bay and pick people at random to go to the 1/4 deck.

Sounds fun.

Was there a grand prize?

What types of food should I eat? I am not trying to gain weight, I just want to make sure I am getting the right kind of nutrients.
I generally eat something small for breakfast, pigout at lunch and small dinner....real small dinner
I am trying to get toned more than stronger also...I used to have a 6 pack when I was 11 and 12...but lost it due to loss of metabolism lol.

Hey!!!!! me me me me!!! um hehe justseems to have gotten off topic.
I can't wait for my DI's Games... :roll:

migidarra said:
What types of food should I eat? I am not trying to gain weight, I just want to make sure I am getting the right kind of nutrients. I generally eat something small for breakfast, pigout at lunch and small dinner....real small dinner

Just don't live off junk food and you will do fine. If you drink lots of soda try to cut back as you will not have any. Get used to drinking plenty of water too. If you smoke, you won't be doing that for three months so cut back on that too.

While your in boot camp you will get three meals a day, and you will end up eating lots of food because your going to be burning calories constantly.

I am trying to get toned more than stronger also..

By the time you graduate you will be toned and stronger. Just make sure you can pass the PFT before you go and you will be fine physically. It is after boot camp where you will have to worry about staying in shape.

I used to have a 6 pack when I was 11 and 12...but lost it due to loss of metabolism lol.

migidarra said:

Hey!!!!! me me me me!!! um hehe justseems to have gotten off topic.
I can't wait for my DI's Games... :roll:

That's good that you eat breakfast. I NEVER did before I went to bootcamp, and I got extremely sick the first week after I ate breakfast every morning in recieving. Make SURE you can run the PFT so you're not the only ******* dropping out of the run on the initial PFT, causing your platoon to go from first place to fifth. And yes, you'll enjoy some of the DI's game. Lock showers......

Back