Marine Officer

Hutch

Hey all

A brief bio of me would state that I am a 17 year old high school senior with plans of going to college and becoming a USMC officer. So since I plan on becoming a Marine officer, I have spent numerous hours searching about NROTC and PLC. I have learned alot about both NROTC and PLC, but I still have a few questions about them and was hoping some of you here with experience in this situation could help me out and answer a few of these possible life changing questions.

On a website I went to about a college that offers NROTC gives an NROTC overview and in the overview they say "Upon graduation, midshipmen are commissioned as ensigns in the Naval Reserve or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps Reserve. Midshipmen will have military obligations of eight years; at least four of those years must be on active duty (three for college program)."

1) With the 4 years active duty in the reserves would that be any different than 4 years active duty not in the reserves. Will I still be doing the same as anyone not in the reserves? Also my dad brought across another question? Do I do the 4 years active first and then the 4 years inactive, or inactive (while in college) and then the active duty.

I know that the NROTC program offers tuition assistance, but if I didn't get int the NROTC scholarship program and just went to PLC would I receive any tuition assistance? I read a webpage (can't remember at this time where) that you have no military obligation after the first PLC course, unless you receive tuition assistance then you have a certain number of years obligated. So I guess the question is, is their PLC tuition assistance and if so how do you get it? (I know that you get paid to attend the PLC courses. Is that the tuition assistance they speak of or am I missing some bit of information?)

I guess thats all of the questions for right now. I hope I didn't bore you to death with this very long post and I hope you can take some time and answer those questions as that would help me greatly.

Also I would like to say to all of you that are in the Armed Forces that I deeply appreciate what you and your brothers have sacrificed for this country and for me. :brave:

I'm not sure how PLC works, so I can't answer that part of the question.

However, with NROTC, when you graduate from college, you get what's called a reserve commission. For all intents and purposes, it's basically the same as a regular commission, but there are some nuances between the two (you can probably do an online search as to the differences, or maybe someone else can chime in on the differences*).

However, a reserve commission has no effect on going on active duty. Even though you'll have a reserve commission, you'll still have to go on active duty immediately following graduation. You will have to serve a minimum of four years on active duty, and then possibly more time AFTER that in the reserves. Depending on your specialty (i.e., if you decide to become a pilot), you may end up spending all eight years on active duty instead of splitting it up four-and-four.

Hope that helps!

* - this link will bring you to a PDF file -- page 3 shows the differences between a reserve corps officer and a regular corps officer in the US Public Health Service (for the record, I'm a reserve corps officer on full-time active duty). Obviously, the USMC has its own differences, but this will give you an idea of what the differences are.

Now that is sort of what im am planing on doing is joining NROTC in collage and go in the navy as commissioned navel officer. Oh and you can
join any ROTC program and if you join the military you become an officer though I have no idea about this PLC program.

I just typed a lengthy response, but when previewing it I accidently lost it all. So here goes again.

Thanks for the replies.

My plans are if PLC offers tuition assistance (I know I have brought that up a few times, but that isn't the only thing that matters. I just figure it might come in handy and would like to explore all options) to not worry about going in NROTC. If PLC doesn't offer tuition assistance I plan on trying to gain admission to the NROTC scholarship program and go that way (knowing I still have to attend PLC. I believe that NROTC may offer a good experience with meeting new people and getting a feel for the way things work). I have a few more questions that I either forgo to post or that was sparked by something said. Any help is requested.

1) Would it be wise to go talk to a recruiter (or do I still have to) if I plan on going in as an officer, since they are only over people that go in as enlisted. Should I be concerned with them maybe trying to discourage me into going in as an officer and try to get me to enlist so they get credit (?) for me? Or do you think they will still be helpful with me even if I have no concerns of going in as enlisted? (If any recruiters that read this and are offended, I apoligize as that is not my intention.)

2) I have also been told that if your college doesn't offer NROTC, but it does offer either Army ROTC or Air Force ROTC than you can participate in those programs and it would be no difference than NROTC? Is there any truth to that statement or is the info just totally off base?

3) Also I was wondering if any of you were in my shoes what would you do differently and how would you go about obtaining the title of college graduate along with the honored title of Marine Officer? Would you try and gain admission into NROTC or not? I am hoping to learn what someone would do that has more info on this aspect than I do as this is what I want to do with my life because I see the Marine Corps as a positive life change for me. As I am not the most motivated person in the world and have things about me that I wish were changed for the better. Any other advice on what I should do is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice, answers, or info.

I don't want to make another topic so..
Q 1: After graduating from college from ROTC I will have to serve 4 ad- 4 reserve but can I make it so that I can serve active duty for like.. the rest of my life? I wanna serve for like 25 years or so.. 35 maybe..

sorry for not answering your question as im learning too from these replies :D and im so unsure about which branch I want to go into.. >.o;;

It's okay with posting a question on here. I don't mind at all as I will probably benefit from your questions as well. I can't give you a for sure answer so I will keep my info to myself as not to give you false info. On the which branch of military question,just do some research is all I can say. Go to all of the websites and see what they offer to you and what you would enjoy doing the most. I have chosen Marines for a few different reasons. One of those reasons and maybe the most important of why going into the Marines is because my dad and grandfather were both Marines and I would like to try and earn the title so not only are they my elders, but they are also my brothers. Another reason is because they are said to have the most demanding bootcamp and if I decide to go in and serve I want to try to bring the very best out of me.

Hutch

Any answers over some of the PLC questions would be very helpful as I need to start deciding what I am going to do because I am a senior in highschool.

From my understanding, you can't go to Army ROTC and have that count and get you to become an Officer of Marines. Yeah, you can take some of their course, but as far as I know, only the lower division ones. If you want to take the upper division ones you need to get accetped into that program.
Yes, go talk to your recruiter. His/her job is to help you. But more so people wanting to enlist, and yes they probably will try to get you to enlist.
For Officer information, contact your local OSO, Officer Selection Officer. He is a recruiter, but for Officer Candidates only.
I plan on becoming an Officer of Marines myself. I am going to enlist in the USMCR when I turn 18 next September, get into the USMCR, and go to college while in the Reserves. Upon completion of college, I will go active duty. I will either stay enlisted active duty for a year or two or apply for Officers School as soon as I graduate college.
Thats my plan and objective.
Good luck!
Lamm

Concerning PLC: There is tution assistance, not full-ride like the ROTC scholarship but it still assists. Also, I think you get a set amount of money each month (not too sure though). I am currently applying for a PLC scholarship. From what I have been told by my ROTC instructors is that it is less competitive then ROTC and you can still apply for the ROTC scholarship if you are in the PLC program. Also concerning ROTC, remeber that just because you are in ROTC doesn't mean you are commissioning, you have to have a scholarship. O and be sure to max that PT test for either scholarship, or at least recieve a first class. If in good enough shape, you should be able to get the hundred crunches fairly easily. It is the pullups and run that is difficult. So good luck.

Hutch said:
2) I have also been told that if your college doesn't offer NROTC, but it does offer either Army ROTC or Air Force ROTC than you can participate in those programs and it would be no difference than NROTC? Is there any truth to that statement or is the info just totally off base?
They're totally off base. Sure, you can do AROTC or AFROTC, but you'll get your commission in one of those services. Then you'd have to apply for a transfer to the Marines -- it's not like you can do AROTC or AFROTC and then get a commission in the Marines. The Army sponsors (and pays the scholarships for) AROTC; the Air Force sponsors (and pays the scholarships for) AFROTC. They're going to want to get their investment back and not see you run off to the Marines.

By the way, the other route you can look into is applying for the Naval Academy -- you can get a Marine commission that way, too. There's one small advantage to attending the Naval Academy over going to a civilian college with Navy ROTC -- the four years you spend there count towards your pay and retirement. So when you graduate from the Academy, you'll be an O-1 (2nd Lt.) with four years' of service, as opposed to an O-1 with no years or service if you graduate from Navy ROTC (it's a difference of over $600 per month at current pay rates -- before taxes). Of course, getting into the Academy is a whole other story.

JulesLee said:
Q 1: After graduating from college from ROTC I will have to serve 4 ad- 4 reserve but can I make it so that I can serve active duty for like.. the rest of my life? I wanna serve for like 25 years or so.. 35 maybe..
Oh, sure. The 4 and 4 part is only the minimum requirement that you have to serve. (Depending on the military specialty you enter, that requirement may actually be longer -- i.e., if you were to become a Naval Aviator, your requirement is 8 years of active duty after you get your wings, so about 10 or 11 years on active duty in total.) You can serve as long as you like, provided you're eligible to serve (i.e., you haven't been passed over for promotion too many times, you're still under the age limit, etc.).

Last edited:
Yeah fullmetaljacket. Just for a little insight what would I need in order to gain acceptance into the Naval Academy? Such as GPA, ACT/SAT, activities, etc. Just a little info would be nice. The Naval Academy is something I would be interested in, but don't know much about it. I guess I'll go do a little research about it. Thanks for the info.

Also, would anyone here that has went through PLC tell me a little about what it is like? Tell me about some of the things I would be learning. Some of the drills among other things? Also after attending PLC in college and after I get my bachelors and graduate from college I go to boot camp then or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hutch said:
Just for a little insight what would I need in order to gain acceptance into the Naval Academy? Such as GPA, ACT/SAT, activities, etc. Just a little info would be nice. The Naval Academy is something I would be interested in, but don't know much about it. I guess I'll go do a little research about it. Thanks for the info.
There's a thread that has the links for all the service academies, but off the top of my head, the Naval Academy's webpage is www.usna.edu.

Basically, it's like trying to get into one of the top tier schools, but with an emphasis on leadership and service. You'll need good grades (I'd say a B+ average is a minimum, you'll likely need an A- average), do athletics, and belong to service organizations (and take leadership positions within those organizations, and actually accomplish goals and objectives while you're in those leadership positions). And that's just the start...

I was under the impression that, to simplify things, the Navy was now giving every officer regular commissions- the reserve commission has been done away with. Can someone corroborate this?

Well as of right now in my senior year I have a 3.9 GPA with about a 95 average. I played and started at guard on my varsity high school football team. I am in a few school organizations, such as FFA (Future Farmers of America), BPA (Busines Professionals of America), and Interact Club (Spirit Club). In FFA I competed in the Nationals for Ag. Mechanics (Only one school gets to compete from each state and they have to beat everyone in the state to get the honor). I am the activity coordinator for BPA and am active in Interact club. Right now I have only taken my ACTs once and made a 23, but I now I can do better and expect to make around a 28 or so. Would I have any chance of actually getting accepted into the naval academy.

Talked to a recruiter today. After all of the questions such as have you ever done drugs etc., I told him I was interested in becoming an officer and asked for his advice. I told him I knew quite a bit about PLC and NROTC. He told me there was another way or becoming an officer other than those or OCS. He said that I was to enlist into the Marine Reserves that while in the reserves I could attend college and work towards my bachelors. He said after my sophmore and junior year I could attend the 2 six-week PLC programs (he said it would be easier to get in because I would already be a Marine). After I obtain my bachelors degree and graduate from the PLC program that I would be commissioned (If I chose) as a 2nd Lt. in the Marine Corps. I am justing seeking some advice on this choice. Hopefully some of you can answer a few of my questions. So here goes.

If I go into the Marine Corps Reserves and pursue that option couldn't the Marine Corps activate me at any time (without any debate) and then I would be pulled out of college and not be able to further pursue my quest to be an officer??? Would the Marines do that if they see I am seeking a higher position and going to college to try and better myself? Could I get something saying that they wont do that while I attend college in my contract? I feel it would really stink if I got say 3 years of college in and then got activated and sent on active duty for 4 years as a enlisted reservist.

If someone could take a little time and answer these questions that would help alot. I am supposed to meet this recruiter Monday after school. My dad and I are going to go meet and talk to him. He said that I was about 20 lbs overweight, so he is going to be putting me on a PT plan, so I'm looking forward to that. Thanks in advance.

If I go into the Marine Corps Reserves and pursue that option couldn't the Marine Corps activate me at any time (without any debate) and then I would be pulled out of college and not be able to further pursue my quest to be an officer??? Would the Marines do that if they see I am seeking a higher position and going to college to try and better myself? Could I get something saying that they wont do that while I attend college in my contract? I feel it would really stink if I got say 3 years of college in and then got activated and sent on active duty for 4 years as a enlisted reservist.

The scenario you describe above could very well happen and in fact has happened. I strongly suggest that you PM two members on this forum who could give you some answers due to their former or current service in the Marines, namely, RndrSafe and 03USMC.

Good Luck.:salute2:

I'm going to get right on the PMs. Hopefully one of them will take some time and help me out. Thanks.

Also so you are confirming that it is possible to go reserve and then while in reserves get your degree and attend PLC and go from there to officer?

Hutch said:
Also so you are confirming that it is possible to go reserve and then while in reserves get your degree and attend PLC and go from there to officer?

No, I am not. That is why I suggested you PM the two sources I gave you. They are far more familar with the current rules, etc. I did however read about someone who was in the situation you described (in the reserves while in college and his unit was activated to go to Iraq)

I apoligize for jumping to conclusions. I have already sent them both a PM stating pretty much everything I have said in this topic in a little more condensed form and asked for their assistance in the nicest way possible.

Last edited:
Back