Marine Officer

Hutch said:
Well as of right now in my senior year I have a 3.9 GPA with about a 95 average. I played and started at guard on my varsity high school football team. I am in a few school organizations, such as FFA (Future Farmers of America), BPA (Busines Professionals of America), and Interact Club (Spirit Club). In FFA I competed in the Nationals for Ag. Mechanics (Only one school gets to compete from each state and they have to beat everyone in the state to get the honor). I am the activity coordinator for BPA and am active in Interact club. Right now I have only taken my ACTs once and made a 23, but I now I can do better and expect to make around a 28 or so. Would I have any chance of actually getting accepted into the naval academy.
I didn't realize you were already a senior -- you're about six months behind the time curve right now. Based on what you have above (although I don't really know anything about the ACT's, I'm more familiar with the SAT's, but even then, they changed the test recently so now I'm really out of the loop), you have a good chance of getting an appointment to the Naval Academy, but realize you're competing against other young men and women who are probably just as qualified, if not more qualified.

Your biggest problem right now is that you're probably late in your application to the Academy. There is a process of having to get Congressional sponsorship, which means you need to meet and then get a letter from your state's Senator or your district's Congressman or Congresswoman. Go to your Senators' websites (you'll have to look through www.senate.gov) or your Representative's website (www.house.gov), they usually have a link on their site to the process of getting a Congressional appointment. The Naval Academy site should also have instructions as to the entire application process.

You might need to take a year off or go to junior/prep college while you complete your application, then go to the Academy. As it is, you're already approaching the deadline for many civilian college applications.

Also, don't forget, your recruiter may be trying to get you into USMCR (while you do college) because for him/her, that's just another enlistment to add to his/her totals. The Marines won't screw you in that if you're doing well, they'd derail your plans. That's not the way the US military system works as a whole -- to the contrary, if they see you're doing well and that you have leadership potential, they're going to want to develop that and place you in positions of responsibility. (The US military didn't become one of the best -- if not THE best -- military systems in the world by screwing their people over.) But that doesn't mean that they won't call you up, either -- if there is a need, they will use you to fill that need.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back