Marine - to be or not?

bellisimaangelo

To be or not to be .....

I'm hoping someone can help me.. I have a couple of questions:

1- I know you don't get paid much when you are in the Marines, but about how much do you get paid?

2- I want to become and FBI Agent, does it take longer to finish your degree while in the marines. Or would a BS take 4 yrs just like it would be with any other college?

3- I have a 5 yr old, does the Marines help out with child care or do they have any programs for parents in the Marines?

I don't think they do but well I was checking the NAVY website and they do... but then again I don't want to join the NAVY. lol
I want to join the Marines.
My husband will be taking care of my son the majority of the time, but he will also be working.

Anyway... my next question is
well its not a question its more like a statement...
I love my son and I really want to bring him along once I pass training and all of that... If he can't relocate with me and my husband than I would not be able to do this. No matter how much I want to... :(

Well I'll be waiting on any comments.
Thanks again,
Cathy

Re: To be or not to be .....

bellisimaangelo said:
I'm hoping someone can help me.. I have a couple of questions:

1- I know you don't get paid much when you are in the Marines, but about how much do you get paid?

2- I want to become and FBI Agent, does it take longer to finish your degree while in the marines. Or would a BS take 4 yrs just like it would be with any other college?

3- I have a 5 yr old, does the Marines help out with child care or do they have any programs for parents in the Marines?

I don't think they do but well I was checking the NAVY website and they do... but then again I don't want to join the NAVY. lol
I want to join the Marines.
My husband will be taking care of my son the majority of the time, but he will also be working.

Anyway... my next question is
well its not a question its more like a statement...
I love my son and I really want to bring him along once I pass training and all of that... If he can't relocate with me and my husband than I would not be able to do this. No matter how much I want to... :(

Well I'll be waiting on any comments.
Thanks again,
Cathy

1. This is a variable question. It really all depends. I mean, for instance, you are given your Basic Pay(varies by rank/time in service), BAS(256.46), Bah(varias by rank/type). Than there are other factors than are included, Hostile Fire pay, FSA, it really varies.

2. This also varies. If you're dedicated, yea, there's a chance you can do it, but it really depends. Like if you're a grunt, it's harder to do since you can be deployed and are in the field. This I'm a little unsure of.

3. Yes, the Marines have many programs as far as I know. Depends on the area, but I know the Camp Lejeune area has many programs for children and the parents.

The Corps ain't about the money but a Pfc now makes about what I did as a Cpl.

Your child and husband will be able to relocate with you to any post you are assigned to unless it is designated as unaccompanied. That would include your MOS school, a Tour on Okinawa of less than 3 years, and any deployment to a combat zone.
Most bases have day care facilities.

Your ability to attend college would depend on your units deployments and field commitments but since you would not be in a combat arms MOS it shouldn't be a problem.

03USMC said:
Your ability to attend college would depend on your units deployments and field commitments but since you would not be in a combat arms MOS it shouldn't be a problem.

I was able to squeeze out two classes in four years, so trying to go to school in a combat arms MOS is tough, especially if you volunteer for anything extra.

Back