Marine Mind Set On Iwo Jima - Page 2

--

January 25th, 2005  
AsianAmerican

It was a brutal brutal battle. I've have read that the Japanese would not give up and only a handful of them would be taken as POW's. As for America we fought bravely and thanks to the 3 T's: Tactics, Training, Technology we eventually prevailed.
January 25th, 2005  
Charge 7

In taking defensive positions it always takes a 3 to 1 ratio at the very least. The defenses the Japanese had were incredibly tough to overcome. The numbers should not lead you to a wrong conclusion.
January 30th, 2005  
Young Winston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
In taking defensive positions it always takes a 3 to 1 ratio at the very least. The defenses the Japanese had were incredibly tough to overcome. The numbers should not lead you to a wrong conclusion.
What was the difference in heavy firepower
--
January 30th, 2005  
Charge 7

Heavy firepower doesn't mean much when the enemy is burrowed into the native rock to effect a labyrinth of tunnels and redoubts such that not even 16" naval guns can dislodge them. Heavy firepower didn't win Iwo Jima. The M1 rifle and Marine Corps blood and sweat did.
January 30th, 2005  
03USMC

And Flame Throwers, Satchal Charges and Grenades.
February 1st, 2005  
Strongbow

Bloody battle. Bravery on both side but the firepower and manpower was totally onesided. The Japanese never had a chance really.

The Battle of Guadalcanal was a more even fight (for the 1st Marine Division)

Check out the battle on the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Guadalcanal
February 1st, 2005  
03USMC

The issue was indoubt for the 1st Marine Division for along time on Guadalcanal. They lacked sufficient supplies, sufficient naval support, sufficient air power. What Air Craft they did have were held together by cannabilizing wrecked aircraft, and fuel had to landed by floating 50 gallon drums from lighters to the beach then manhandled by Marines to Henderson field.
For awhile they subsisted on captured rations. Better than 85% of the "combat ready" Marines were afflicted with Malaria or other tropical illness'.
The Japanese landed reinforcements several times due to lack of Naval support.
No Guadalcanal wasn't more even.
February 1st, 2005  
Popeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Heavy firepower doesn't mean much when the enemy is burrowed into the native rock to effect a labyrinth of tunnels and redoubts such that not even 16" naval guns can dislodge them. Heavy firepower didn't win Iwo Jima. The M1 rifle and Marine Corps blood and sweat did.
Well said - as that proved to be the mindset for other valiant battles in WWII as well.

Not enough can be said for our veterans. The appreciation today tends to be very small in quantity because as of today we relish in technology that baffles mankind itself, and many forget the real sacrifices made. It isn't about the politics, money etc. It is ultimately the soldiers' life - which is why it makes me sick that we have people today who waste their time protesting against a war that won't be overturned instead of coming together and supporting our troops and military, not the cause or effect.

That is why WWII will be known as the last great war because that was the last conflict that drove us to a level of patriotism far beyond any other war we have experienced.

Anyways, sorry about that - I just sort of went on a tear... I'm 16 and about the only one that has an appreciation for our sacrifices and vets around my age. It is now almost something I don't go around talking about cos people in school don't really care - so I thought I'd get it off my chest here. :P However, I am sure most already agree, so I'm really not informing the right group of people.... oh well, atleast I feel better.
February 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

That's okay Popeye.

The peace and security you grew up with was what these men fought for - and died for.

As to Iwo or Guadalcanal being worse than the other - my father fought at both. He always felt that Guadalcanal was by far the worst he saw.
February 1st, 2005  
MilidarUSMC

also took 7000 Marine lives to take that island.