A Marine Joke Gone True

georgerr

My Dad retired from the Army in the DC area where there are a lot of other military and former military. One of their neighbors was a Marine Colonel (later General). At the time COL K. was the commander of the Marine Helicopter Squadron HMX-1 (the President's helicopter squadron).

One night at a cocktail party my Dad told an old Marine joke to a group of people including COL K. The joke was:

On a military base that housed all four services they announced the time over a loudspeaker system. The hourly announcement would go like this. "Attention on base. This is the hourly time announcement. For all Army personnel, the time is 1600 hours. For all Navy personnel, the time is 8 bells. For all Air Force personnel, the time is 4:00 PM. And for all you Marines, Mickey Mouses big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 4."

Later on my Dad heard a huge roar of laughter from a group that included COL K and his wife. It seems that COL K had loved my Dad's joke so much that he told it to another group of people and got a much bigger laugh than my Dad had. It was later that Mrs. K told my Dad that COL K had gotten Mickey's hands mixed up.

Back