Marine Force Recon

ghost457

well, my question didnt get answered to my satisfaction in another topic, so i made a new one.

my question is, if you are in Marine Force Reconnaisance, do you serve in that unit for 5 years, and then return to your regular unit? i read in "U.S. Special Forces" by Samuel A. Southworth & Stephen Tanner that this is the case. however, it also said that you could get a 2 year extension before returning to your regular unit. could someone please verify whether this is true or not?

also, if any of you have Marine Force Recon experience, i would like to talk to you to make sure that that is what i want to do and that it is right for me. thank you

btw, if i do not join the Marine Corps, i will most likely join the Army and get into some sort of Special Ops unit ASAP, probably Rangers and then Special Forces, but i like the mission of Force Recon better.

Its true that you can only stay in Force recon for a max of 5 years with an optional 2 year extension. im not sure if you go back to regular unit when your done or whatever so I won't answer that.

You will generally go back to a Line Company in an infantry bn if your an 0300 MOS . You might go to a B-Billet, Recruiter, Drill Instructor, MSG.

IMO. The first thing you need to do is concentrate on becoming a Marine First, an Infantry Marine second and learning that trade. Then you can see if you still feel you are FR material.

well, over the holiday weekend, i talked to a Marine, i think he's a corporal. anyways, i decided that even if i'm only in Force Recon for a max of 7 years, im sure i'll enjoy the rest of the time, and right now i really want to join the Marines, i'll post again with any updates.

a Max?...i never knew nor do i believe there is a max amount of time you can be in an MOS, even if it is a B Billet. if im wrong someone let me know but i dont see why the USMC would train someone to only work in that job for 7years. unless you mean that you wouldnt wnat to stay longer then i am just being stupid.

Because of a few reasons. The limited number of billets available in Recon especially for SNCO and Officer ranks. The different skills used in Recon differ from the skills used in a line company.The need to filter expieranced Recon Marines back thru line companies to keep them current on conventional tactics and the need to filter regular grunts thru the Recon pipeline to enhance their training.

Most of the B-Billets are limited to the amount of time you can spend there MSG, MCSF/FAST, DI, Recruiter, I&I. Then you return to your primary MOS. The 5x7 time limit is for the amount of time spent in the Unit. You can always request reassignment at a later time.

Back