Marine enlistment waiver

busy247

My son recently signed his enlistment papers for the Marines. He took the ASVAB and passed MEPS. The recruiter called last night and said his possession of marijuana charge 3 years ago does not qualify for a waiver. From what I can tell, under 30 grams (1 ounce) qualifies for a district waiver. He was charges with over 1 ounce. When he went to court he plead guilty to a misdmeanor and paid a fine. He has had no drug charges since then. Is there anything we can do? He is disappointed that this has happened. I would appreciate any help.

Sometimes waivers will qualify. Sometimes they won't. Depends on the recruitment pool and the waivering authority. If the RS in your district won't waiver it you can try another district. No guarentees.

Can I join The Marine Corps

I want to join the Marine Corps but I have a felony for marijuana distribution. I committed the crime when I was 17 but I was charged as an adult. After being charged I opted to enter a rigorous drug rehabilitation program called Drug Court. After I completed the program the felony was dismissed and the states conviction was dropped. I've completely changed since I entered Drug Court. I've been attending a great University and have received good grades, I also have maintained a full time job. I'm now in the process of having the felony expunged so that it's no longer on my police record. Now I feel it's my duty to serve my country and I'm going to do my best to make that happen. I'm very determined and I have several people who will vouch for me as a person. So, is it possible for me to join? And, if it is possible, would I be more likely to be accepted if I waited maybe another year to show more positive progression in my life? Thanks.

No it's not. Why should the Corps waste it's time and bend it's standards on a felon when there are suitable applicants in the recruitment pool who have managed to abide by societies rules and laws.

But...but...

I tend to side with cole123. Back in the day, the Navy only wanted people with engineering degrees...that is, until they realized no one was creative or able to communicate with each-other.
Unquestioning American patriots are not any more right than unquestioning Muslim extremists! But like a well-rounded person functions better even in the military, someone who's broken the rules does something more meaningful in then serving the government.

Pawns might at best be a necessary evil, but never desirable. Even chess allows a pawn to become something more, but the military doesn't even think someone can stop selling drugs!

I have a question:

Cole123 said the Felony was dismissed, the state conviction was dropped, and that he working in having the record expunged (if thats his only offense). Well if his record is clean why could the Marines bar him?

Frankly I think the Marines are being too rigid. A man whose actions demonstrate a willingness to start again (such as getting a BA) is entitled to a second chance...even in the Marines. I would much rather have a reformed ex-drug dealer than some of the social miscreants that DO get into the military and then the rest of us here about it on the 6 o'clock news. I mean if they can look past a person with a diagnosed case of Autism, how can they deny someone whose sole criminal act was a pot case when he was 17? Gimme a break.

This is just my opinion though...

Because it wouldn't be fair for the guys who kept their heads screwed on straight the whole way, through good times and bad times. If enough guys who got it right the whole way want to join, the guy who screwed up along the way has to wait until there's a spot open. Simple as that.

Personally I don't see the military as some place where you go for them to make a man out of you. It will, but ideally, candidates who have prepared themselves as much as they can will get the first nod. That's the way it is and that's the way it should be.

Tell me about unfair. I know all about it.

Back