Marine Corps Trivia

Which is now part of Marine Corps Barracks 8th and I Streets .

For 100, What Colonial Military Formation does the United States Corps of Marines trace it's lineage to?

nulli secundus said:
The Providence Marine Corps of Artillery. Derived from the Providence Marine Society.

Can't be the Providence Marine Corps of Artillery as it was formed in 1801 and the Marines were formed in 1775.

The Marine Corps was founded by the Continetal Congress on 10 November 1775. The resolution which created the Corps reads as follows:

"Resolved. That two Battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors, and Officers as usual in other Regiments, that they consist of an equal number of privates with other Battalions; that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to office, or so enlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seaman, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be enlisted and commissioned for and during the present war with great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress. That they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered as part of the number, which the Continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."

My answer, The Continental Marine Corps.

Hey 03, great to see you've started your own trivia thread and a nice one at that! Wish I'd been around for the "Cactus Air Force" one of course. I'll re-start my thread tonight probably.

Okay, my answer:

Since The Marine Corps founded in 1775 was the Continental Marines, I'd say that's too late to say the colonial origins of the Corps.

As the colonies were British colonies my choice is that the United States Marine Corps traces its heritage to the British Royal Marines.

Although the current ranks of the Royal Marines number quite small compared to today's US Marines (7,000 vs. 175,000), both Corps of Marines have stood side by side in conflicts around the globe and maintain their close ties. Both Corps of Marines frequently have liaison officers on exchange with each other. The USMC emblem was loosely modeled from the Royal Marines. Neither Corps' emblems incorporates a shield signifying defense, unlike those of other services.

As 03, mentioned in the question that started this thread, during the war of 1812 with England, the British burned nearly every public building in Washington (including the White House and the Capital). The Marine Barracks were spared the burning out of respect.

While the USMC does trace it's roots to the RMC the Unit I am looking for was raised in the Colonies at the request of the Crown. It consisted of 3000 men raised to fight with Admiral Vernons Fleet against Spain. The unit mustered in in the Coloney of Virginia under the command of the Gov.

You mean 'Gooch's Marines', wich were under the comand of the Governor of Virginia William Gooch. The official name was the '43rd Regiment of Foot'

Correct.

Gooch's Marines are considered to be the first "American" Marines by Marine Corps historians.

For 35 who said .....................................................

" The Marines have a propoganda machine equal to that of Stalin." ?

Correct

For 100 Milbucks.

In 1939/40 a Marine Corps Reserve Capt. Invented both a Semi Auto Battle Rifle and a Light Machine gun meant to replace the M1903 Springfield Rifle and BAR for the Marine Corps. These were only issued on a limited basis.

Name the Capt. and the weapons.

Would it be the M41 Johnson LMG and the M41 Johnson Rifle? Designed by a Boston Lawyer and Reserve Marine Captain named Melvin Johnson Jr?

Correct. 100 for the Grunt from Canada.

For 50

A current USMC unit traces it's history to the Joint Assault Signals Companies of WWII. The type of Unit depicted in the movie "WindTalkers"

What is the Full name of this Unit?

Nope not Fourth Signal Co.

Duh? "Windtalkers" Yeah FDD I'll send ya 25 Milbucks for my Brain Fart.

The Unit in Question is involved in supporting arms.

Nice Try Pete but No. The Unit I'm talking about controls Supporting Arms Fire for Allied Forces and US Forces other than the Marine Corps. It is made up of Artillery Marines, Communications Marines and Marine Aviators.

Back