Marine Corps Security Forces

Thats another thing about 8th and I, have to have stepped off a recruiting poster. Which is why all the Marines on the commericials, pamphlets, poster's have that look. Most of em are from 8th and I.

Security Forces

So you go from Boot Camp to Marine combat training (MCT) then School of Infantry (SOI) after that Security Force School which is mainly a glorified Fire Watch school. While there you fill out a dream sheet based off a list of places they need people. 8&I is one but mainly the guys that have been to the Fleet maine force get that E4 and above and you must be I believe 6'1" to 6'3" so the chances of going 8th & I are slim. After I think 2 years at a duty station you go back to the infantry (Line Unit). Alot of times its tough on Marines that went from SOI to Sec. Forces because they forget alot of the basic Infantry stuff. You will be sent to a unit getting ready to deploy most likely so that you get your Sea time. Thats the basic break down. Remember if you like Fire watch and standing guard duty you'll like Sec forces if you like action and adventure stay away.

So you go from Boot Camp to Marine combat training (MCT) then School of Infantry (SOI) after that Security Force School which is mainly a glorified Fire Watch school. While there you fill out a dream sheet based off a list of places they need people. 8&I is one but mainly the guys that have been to the Fleet maine force get that E4 and above and you must be I believe 6'1" to 6'3" so the chances of going 8th & I are slim. After I think 2 years at a duty station you go back to the infantry (Line Unit). Alot of times its tough on Marines that went from SOI to Sec. Forces because they forget alot of the basic Infantry stuff. You will be sent to a unit getting ready to deploy most likely so that you get your Sea time. Thats the basic break down. Remember if you like Fire watch and standing guard duty you'll like Sec forces if you like action and adventure stay away.

So .......No.
03xx series does not go to MCT
03XX series goes straight to ITB, after Recruit training.
School of Infantry is divided into seperate entities, those entities being
Marine Combat Training Bn
and
Infantry Training Bn (to include Advanced Infantry Training)

Naval Security Group Activity Chesapeake where the training bn for security forces is located, is a bit more than fire watch school, it takes on the training of the old sea school and the training of the former individual Marine Barracks , relying heavily on the old 4th MEB training package for anti-terror and the Former Marine Barracks Subic Bay patroling and weapons training package.

Dream Sheets are based on current openings and billets within the Regt and assignment is up to the Regimental S-1.

Any Marine can be assigned to 8th and I regardless theoretically of rank or time in service provided requirements are meant. Hieght requirements pertain mainly to the Silent Drill Team and Ceremonional details within the detachment.

Last edited:
All The Information You Need About Security Forces

Okay...just to clear things up a bit...from the standpoint of someone that has been through the Marine Corps Security Forces cycle, and is now back at the school as a Combat Weapons Instructor.

If you have selected to go to Marine Corps Security Forces as part of your enlistment contract, you will most likely have a "UV" or "UW" designator on your contract. Additionally, your primary MOS will be 03XX.

You will go to Recruit Training, and upon graduation, you will most likely go on "Boot Leave" where you will have approximately 10 days of vacation time. For some of you, you will also serve "RA" which is Recruiter's Assistance (and is basically helping out your recruiter...and more vacation time).

You will go to Infantry Training Battalion (ITB) either on the west or east coast. Depending on the company you are with during ITB, you may be afforded the option to be one of the 03XX weapons MOS (0331 - Machine Gunner, 0341 - Mortarman, 0351 - Assaultman, 0352 - Anti-Tank Missileman) Some companies in ITB allow their contract Security Forces Marines to be weapons MOS, some restrict them to only being 0311 - Rifleman. It will all be up to chance for you.

Upon graduation from ITB, you will be sent to Chesapeake, Virginia to NSA Northwest Annex, where the Marine Corps Security Force Training Company is located.

When you arrive, you will most likely spend a few weeks on "standby" where you will wait to begin your training. During this time, you will spend much of your weekdays cleaning the barracks and doing various working parties around the base.

When you finally begin your training, you will have officially started the Basic Security Guard School (BSG). The first 3 weeks of BSG are spent with the Combat Weapons Instructors. During this time, you will learn, shoot and qualify on the M9 Service Pistol, M1014 Service Shotgun, and M16 Service Rifle. You will also be taught classes on the M240B Machine Gun, the M2 .50 Cal Machine Gun, and the M19 Automatic Grenade Launcher. You will practice range cards, weapon employment and do some shooting in a simulated environment (much like a video game system, but with real weapons).

After you complete the 3 weeks of training in the Combat Weapons section, you will transition to the Physical Security and Tactics Instructors (PhyTac) where you will finish out the remaining 3 weeks of training for BSG. Here, you will learn about standing post, escalation of force, rules of engagement, entry control points/vehicle control points (ECP/VCP) and all practical application of Security Forces skills.

Upon completion of the PhyTac portion of training, you will be tested through a practical evaluation called the FinEx (Final Exercise).

You will graduate the BSG school and will be sent to your respective units.

Now...about which units are available:

8th & I: These are Presidential detail units that usually end up at Camp David. If you will be going to this unit, you will know before you ever begin BSG school.

PRP (Personal Reliability Program): There are 2 bases that have PRP commands. Kings Bay, Georgia & Bangor, Washington (the state). These commands work with the Master at Arms in the Navy and guard facilities that house nuclear weapons.

Fleet Anti-Terrorism Security Team (FAST): There are 3 FAST companies.

Alpha Company is in Norfolk, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Rota, Spain. They are responsible for the European areas surrounding Spain.

Bravo Company is in Yorktown, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Yokosuka, Japan. They are responsible for the Pacific areas surrounding Japan.

Charlie Company is in Norfolk, Virginia. They deploy to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and El Manama, Bahrain. They are responsible for the Middle Eastern areas surrounding Bahrain.

When you first arrive at Chesapeake, Virginia for BSG school, you will be interviewed if you are not already assigned to 8th & I. During this screening, you will be asked a series of questions that will determine your eligibility for PRP or FAST. You will be given a wish list of choices, but ultimately, you don't have a say in the matter.

If you have any questions regarding anything else about Security Forces, email me. I'm still currently an instructor in the Combat Weapons Section of the BSG schoolhouse.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you mate, I would remove some sensitive information from your post.

There is really nothing sensitive in his post. That stuff is readily available from the Security Forces Regt Site. He's not giving deployment schedules etc and SF isn't a tier classed unit.

this thread has helped me out alot i only have one question that i can see that has not bin asked or answers. what are the chance of someone in security forces going to war?

and also i was told that most people that do FAST mostly go threw CUBA first?

Back