Marine Corps Infantry

CO5060.20

I am planning on joining the Marine Corps straight out of high school and I was wondering if you all could help me make a better, more informed desicion. I searched high and low for accurate information on the Marine Infantry, but all I have found is little factoids here or there. My recruiter is a truck driver in the Corps, so the only info. he could give me is his short lived time in the School of Infantry. So I come to you all, I was wondering what your experiences were in the infantry (i.e. chow, leaders, standards of living, decrepid SGTS, you name it), and if you all have advice or things I should know before I sign my name to that particular MOS?

I loved the Infantry. It's not easy but it is fun and fulfilling and best of all they pay you to camp out, hike ,shoot guns, ride in helos and amtracs. Whats not to love.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

In the units I was in morale was generally good to high especially in the field. Every unit will have periods of low morale . But Marine Grunts are usually pretty good in the morale dept.

You need to remember a Unit is like a family. There will always be minor sqaubbles amongst it. But you still would not hesitate to help your buddies out.

Certainly, and what types of missions did you all have? What were some of the harder things they made you do and what usually drives those currently in the Corp's Infantry to continue in it?

I enlisted for Infantry so yes. As far as missions you do typical Infantry Mission. Close with and Destroy or hold positions. You have MOUT missions, etc. anything an infantry company would be required to do in combat.

If I decide to join the Marine Infantry, would I be able to still attend schools like Military Free Fall school in AZ, Pathfinder, Airbourne (static line), scout/sniper, etc.?

What about if I go into the Corps as a 2nd Lt. Should I get experience with the Corps before going infantry. Or join the infantry as a fresh 2nd Lt and learn from those with combat experience?

Only certain elements in the Corps get Airborne, MFF, Pathfinder etc. Based on the requirements of the Corps. Not to say if you qualify you couldn't but it's not wide spread.

As far as enlisted vs commissioned thats a personel choice. It depends on what you want.

During the Cold WEather Training, I hear rumors that they make you jump in a hole in the ice into the water and recite your name, rank, social security number etc. Is there any truth to this?

How long were some of the longer humps you went on and how did you get through them? It seems to me that everyone has their own little motivators, what were yours? Also, how does one increase in rank on the enlisted side?

the distance w/ the humps, im a POGUE but the longest hike ive gone on is 15k (9.2mi) but i hear in SOI ITB goes on a 25k hike (you do the math). and i hear of a 100mi. 4day hike between pendleton and 29palms or san diego or something like that, 03 will know more about those hikes. from what i hear aout the hikes they can make you hike as long as they want as long as you get a 10min break once an hour...thats what i know about hiking w/ a pack, now im a winger so i dont know as much as a grunt....

03USMC said:
I didn't . Hulk has alot more CW/AW training than I do he might be able to confirm or deny.

We did ice/water survival as well as riverine ops in the extreme cold, there was no official "Name Rank Serial Number" crap, but it did get a little nippy and wet. Remember, like 03 said, not all go through all the schools. I went because of the duty position and the upcoming training ops, but there is no guarantee that you will get anything but an 03 "something" when you enlist directly into the infantry.

Remember one thing, it is what you make of it. I loved it and many people consider me intelligent, so don't let anyone tell you that your personal decision is "dumbing" yourself down, it is not true. I went through that when I chose to go directly into the Corps instead of college, I learned more about people, planning and execution in the Corps than I ever in college. One thing to remember too, the scholarships, both sports and merit are still available after you do whatever amount of time you want in the military. I have very personal experience with this, so don't let anyone bullcrap you on that subject.

CO5060.20 said:
If I decide to join the Marine Infantry, would I be able to still attend schools like Military Free Fall school in AZ, Pathfinder, Airbourne (static line), scout/sniper, etc.?

The military will not send you to schools unless there is a reason, the Marine Corps will not send you to schools unless there is a reason, and a bit of extra money. In other words, it is very unlikely (99.9%) you will see any of those schools during your time in the infantry.

Don't be lured in by those sexy school titles. Chances are, you will never see them. Your main focus needs to be on becoming a Marine .. and then becoming an infantry Marine. If you go in with higher expectations than that, you could very well end up wasting four years of your time.

RnderSafe said:
Don't be lured in by those sexy school titles. Chances are, you will never see them. Your main focus needs to be on becoming a Marine .. and then becoming an infantry Marine. If you go in with higher expectations than that, you could very well end up wasting four years of your time.

This is an excellent point. First thing on you rmind should be becomin a Marine and becomin the best Marine you can. You try and glamorize any of it in your head by thinkin, "i am gonna do this and this and that " you will end up hatin every minute of it and end up bein one of those that whines about how much longer until you get out.

MilidarUSMC said:
the distance w/ the humps, im a POGUE but the longest hike ive gone on is 15k (9.2mi) but i hear in SOI ITB goes on a 25k hike (you do the math). and i hear of a 100mi. 4day hike between pendleton and 29palms or san diego or something like that, 03 will know more about those hikes. from what i hear aout the hikes they can make you hike as long as they want as long as you get a 10min break once an hour...thats what i know about hiking w/ a pack, now im a winger so i dont know as much as a grunt....

MCRES is a twenty five Miler every year. There is the death march between Palms and Pendelton. Thats usually a Bn CO thing I recall 3/9 doing it and I think 1/7 did it. The Death March is for Regimental bragging rights but it's good training. The thing is these are set Humps, you know how far they are. And while they are tough they don't have the unknown factor of a hump while your on an operational excercise.

Back