Is the Marine Corps going to adopt the XM8

the L-85 works for me, you still have the use of a bayonet, and the bayonet is what can win the day. Cold steel.

Sea_Cadet said:
the L-85 works for me, you still have the use of a bayonet, and the bayonet is what can win the day. Cold steel.

Ugh the SA80 is terrrrrible...I have no idea why the UK still uses it. besides whats the use of a bayonet if the weapon is as short as the SA80 is...plus the bullpup deisgn puts your hand in the way of a return bayonet strike.

SA80... got to be the worst assault rifle design of any modern Army.
Purely right handed
Pointlessly short for a bayoneted rifle

There is nothing wrong with the M-4. The military should stop trying to change things that do not need to be fixed.

globalsecurity.org has nothing on this, nor does any website I visited. Where is your source claiming the millitary dropped the XM8?

It's difficult to imagine H&K would lose a customer with pockets as deep as the US Gov't because they wouldn't change the design!

FutureDevilDog said:
I believe him because he is in the military.

He isn't in the military.

globalsecurity.org has nothing on this, nor does any website I visited. Where is your source claiming the millitary dropped the XM8?

It's difficult to imagine H&K would lose a customer with pockets as deep as the US Gov't because they wouldn't change the design!

As for the XM8, he is correct somewhat. The Marine Corps never had any intention of adopting it. The Army was excited about it, but the XM8 did not pass all of their testing, so it was put on the R&D shelf and is being retested. They are also reopening competition.

hicks said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Thats just crazy.
I think US troops need a shorter rifle.

What? The M-4 is a perfect size and weight.

The M4 is not a perfect rifle. It is a good mission/billet specific carbine

It is in no way a good Riflemans.Rifle.

Alot of people seem to have a love affair with the M4 because it's sexy with all those attachments.

03USMC said:

Alot of people seem to have a love affair with the M4 because it's sexy with all those attachments.

And that's why everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

hicks said:
What? The M-4 is a perfect size and weight.

There is no such thing as perfect.

I can't speak from expirience but I would think the M-4 is a good balance of size, weight and firepower for todays urban battlefields. Like mentioned everyone is entitled for their opinion, well in my opinion Xm-8 is a waste of money, there have been no major flaws in M-4 not that I've heard of right? so why fix it if it isn't broken?

hicks said:
03USMC said:

And that's why everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Not an opinion. The USMC course of fire is point targets out to 500 yards.
The shorter barrel on the M4 decreases accuracy at distance. Thats why the USMC adopted the M16A4 as a service rifle. M4's maybe fine for operating in close quarters but it remains a special function weapon.

03USMC said:
Not an opinion. The USMC course of fire is point targets out to 500 yards.
The shorter barrel on the M4 decreases accuracy at distance. Thats why the USMC adopted the M16A4 as a service rifle. M4's maybe fine for operating in close quarters but it remains a special function weapon.

Surely it's an opinion. The M-4 has a point target rage of 500 meters. So that Marine Corps could use it for their course. The shorter barrel may decrease the accurancy and range compared to the M-16, but it's not that much.

The M16 point target range is 550 meters. A mere 50 meters difference. And if you're trying to shoot an enemy 500 meters away, more than likely you're just wasting rounds anyway.

Back