Is the Marine Corps going to adopt the XM8 - Page 4

--

May 28th, 2005  
Rocky_Raccoon

"if its not broken dont fix it"... well its not that its broken, just outdated... its like having an old circle screened POS black and white TV when you could have a new plazma tv.... the m16 design is old, around 50 years old, and the blow back action is what makes these rifles "old" i think, the m16 uses gas from the previous shot (and powder residue) and forces it back a tube into a piston type chamber, which inturn blows back the action and chambers a new round.... but when this happens all that residue instead of leaving the gun, sits in the action... eventually it will all just gum up.... thats why most soldiers just load there m16/m4 with oil, it washes this crap out and keeps her lubed up.... but immagine if powder residue from say 600 rounds gets in there, thats alot of crap to be gumming up your action...
June 3rd, 2005  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Topic: Re: Is the Marine Corps going to adopt the XM8

The XM-8 is the coolest looking assault rifle in the world! It would be a shame if no Armed Force adopted it.

I hope the Bundeswehr will use it at some point, which they probably won't since they only introduced the G36 about 10 years ago, but a man can dream, right?
June 3rd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

I don't Like it, it doesnt even look accurate and it doesn't even look like it has any power. I saw a video online and the guy was holding it way out in front of him with one hand and it had no recoil at all.
--
June 4th, 2005  
Joe252

The reciol sumtimes depends on how strong the guy or sturdy he is
June 5th, 2005  
Craftsman

No recoil doesn't neccesarily mean no power. With it's new gas system and all, less recoil is just another advantage.
June 6th, 2005  
r031Button

Topic: Re: Is the Marine Corps going to adopt the XM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
The XM-8 is the coolest looking assault rifle in the world! It would be a shame if no Armed Force adopted it.

I hope the Bundeswehr will use it at some point, which they probably won't since they only introduced the G36 about 10 years ago, but a man can dream, right?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn'tthe XM-8 based on the G36?
June 10th, 2005  
Joker

Yes the XM 8 is based on the G36!!!! But only the technical stuff inside the weapon and the magazines (which are see thru, so you can see at all time how many bullets you have left inside) are based on the G36! The rest of the design like the collapsible Buttstock or the sights are new!!!

I donīt think the German Army (Bundeswehr) will do a change again, because the G36 is a good weapon (I used the G 3 and the G 36 when i served in the German Army) and the sights are better(3.5X telescope sight below, with the second 1X red-dot sight above it)!!!!

And i think if the Marines just want a Rifle for long distance shooting, they should take the XM 8 Sharpshooter Variant
with the 20" Barrel as the standard not the 12.5" barrel. Thats the same length as the M 16 barrel. Then you have a new Rifle more reliable than the M 16 with the same accuracy!

Greetz from Germany the home of H&K

JOKER