Marine Corps enlistment bonus

rotc boy

When I enlisted, my recruiter told me I do not get an enlistment bonus. I didn't care, I went to MEPS anyway. Just recently however, my mom told me that when she had talked to the recruiters, they had told her that the Marines do give a bonus, they just don't tell the kids because they don't want them joining for the money.

That got me curious, do the Marines give a bonus for enlistment? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance for the help:-D

I would imagine it depends on your MOS and your qualifications going in. And you might forfeit the bonus due to your advanced rank upon entry.

I was under the impression that you always get a enlistment bonus in every branch of the forces. I'd go talk to your superiors and tell them, hey, come on here I joined to serve my country and make a little money where's my enlistment bonus?

You will not get an enlistment bonus for every MOS. Only a select few MOS get enlistment bonuses and those change from fiscal quarter to fiscal quarter depending on the needs of the Corps and how much money the recruiting commands have to disburse. At the moment you are in the Marine Corps, enjoy that and take pride in that.

The recruiter may have told your mother they give bonuses. She just may have not asked any followon questions or she may not have paid attention to firther information the recruiter told her.

Unless you are really in the know, please don't speculate here.
*snip*

After doing some research, I'm right - it depends on your MOS - as well as where you're shipping to boot from. A few of the MO specialties you'll get bonuses for (may) include public affairs and aviation electronics. The Marines ration bonuses (and ROTC scholarships, as a bit of an aside) based on your location, and it's up to your recruiter to tell you if you get one or not.

Infantry, to the best of my knowledge and research (insert moderator warning against speculation), does not warrant receipt of a bonus.

Last edited:
After doing some research, I'm right - it depends on your MOS - as well as where you're shipping to boot from. A few of the MO specialties you'll get bonuses for (may) include public affairs and aviation electronics. The Marines ration bonuses (and ROTC scholarships, as a bit of an aside) based on your location, and it's up to your recruiter to tell you if you get one or not.

Infantry, to the best of my knowledge and research (insert moderator warning against speculation), does not warrant receipt of a bonus.

Please provide the sources for your post, or suffer the consequences.
You've been warned.
Rules: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/facts-only-not-fiction-everyone-t6518.html

Last edited:
I would stress remember enlistment bonuses or whatever the case may be when you get to MEPS get it in Writing. If it aint in writing on that contract it aint happening no matter what a recruiter tells ya.

yes, after further talking with my recruiter ive found out im getting a 5,000 signing bonus, also a 15,000 after boot camp for signing the g6 which is 6 years of infantry instead of 4. :) leave for bootcamp June 23rd!!!

As far as I know the Marine Corp has never and will never give sign on bonuses. However, they do have re-enlistment bonuses. It would not be the Marine Corp if it was any other way!

Back