Marine Boot Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

FULLMETALJACKET

MilForum Bad Apple
for anyone that has gone through Marine Boot camp. Please share your experiences. Im 16 and in 2 years planning on joining the Marines.
:salute2:

i think the Marines on this site would agree that trying to put experiences with the DI's and other ppl on the MCRD's is impossible unless you are talking to someone who has been there. No offense but you just don't know. things that are funny about it to us you won't get and the things that were done to us for a purpose that we see now you won't see until it happes to you. trust me you will understand when you put your feet on those Yellow Footprints.

implicature said:
i think the Marines on this site would agree that trying to put experiences with the DI's and other ppl on the MCRD's is impossible unless you are talking to someone who has been there. No offense but you just don't know. things that are funny about it to us you won't get and the things that were done to us for a purpose that we see now you won't see until it happes to you. trust me you will understand when you put your feet on those Yellow Footprints.

Outstanding Post Marine.

Im really involved in my JROTC at my school, which unfortunately has to be Air Force but anyways, and usually people laugh at me because of the uniform i have to wear, (blues.) but i dont give a :cen: where will they be in 3 years? flippin hamburgers at burger king, and when i tell everyone that i want to be a United States Marine and they say im stupid, because ill go over in Iraq and get killed and no one will give a :cen: , and ill be a million miles from home... :cen: that, i want to be proud of myself, and i want to be part of something bigger than y self that contributes to society.

as was stated in a wonderful poem somewhere around here, they are the sheep. let them be sheep. dont expect anything from the sheep, you will be disappointed if you do. you are entering a profession where the knowledge that you did the job well and right and protected others who never know what you are doing will be prehaps your greatest reward. enjoy what you do but dont expect anything from anyone

I agree.
You just have to be there. I know I sort of wrote about my experience at RoK Marine boot camp but it doesn't really do justice to the whole experience.
Want to know what it's like? You're going to have to join and find out.

Locke said:
as was stated in a wonderful poem somewhere around here, they are the sheep. let them be sheep. dont expect anything from the sheep, you will be disappointed if you do. you are entering a profession where the knowledge that you did the job well and right and protected others who never know what you are doing will be prehaps your greatest reward. enjoy what you do but dont expect anything from anyone

You know where I could find that poem?

The sheepdogs

Most humans are truly like sheep
Wanting nothing more than peace to keep
To graze, grow fat and raise their young
Sweet taste of clover on the tongue
Their lives serene upon life's farm
They sense no threat nor fear no harm
On vendant meadows, they forage free
With naught to fear, with naught to flee
They pay their sheepdogs little heed
For there is no threat; there is no need

To the flock sheepdogs are mysteries
Roaming watchful round the peripheries
These fang-toothed creatures bark, they roar
With the fetid reek of the carnivore
Too like the wolf of the legends told
To be amongst their docile fold
Who needs sheepdogs? What good are they?
They have no use not in this day
Lock them away, keep them from sight
There is no need for their fierce might

But sudden in their midst a beast
has come to kill come to feast
The wolves attack: they give no warning
They slash and kill with frenzied glee
Their passive helpless enemy

Who had no clue the wolves were there
Far roaming from their eastern lair
Then from the carnage from the rout
Comes the cry, "Turn the sheepdogs out!"

Thus in their nature but, too, their plight
To keep their dogs on leashes tight
And live a life of illusive bliss
Hearing not the beast, his growl, his hiss
Until he has then by the throat
They pay no heed: they take no note
Not until he strikes then at their core
Will they unleash the Dogs of War
Only having felt the wolfpack's wrath
Do they loose the sheepdogs on its path.

And the wolves will learn What we have shown before
We love out sheep, We dogs of war

Russ Vaughn
2nd battalion 327th parachute inf reg
101st airborne Division RVN
1965-66

search function -> sheepdogs = This thread

Of course they're gonna be yelling at you etc.

The movie full metal jacket left in stereotypes that drill instructors will play off of a little, sometimes. As far as telling you funny or really stressful experiences, I cannot share them with you now :( If I were to tell you, they would make you wonder why I thought they are funny, but those who have been would understand perfectly.

It's just an experience of which you have none to compare, it's a different life than you have ever been prepared for. The only thing you can do to make it slightly easier is to be in top physical shape when you go in.

(PS: Try to get into third BTN, they are the easiest. ;) India Company 4 the win)

FMJ is the BESTEST! ive read all about BOOT but i can never get a person thats been there done that to share with me. I guess ill have to wait till im on the yellow foot prints.( 2-3 years )

SMIDIOT, I think I read about india company in Shooter. Did they go to Iraq when the war started? If it's the same crew, they weren't pushovers. Can't see how that would be the easy crew to be with.
Hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back